1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowering the risk of being infected by SARS-CoV-2

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I came across this video about how to disinfect your groceries after you've been out shopping. It details some simple and sensible practices doctors follow in an operating room to maintain sterile surfaces and to prevent infection. It's stuff we can all easily do to lower the risk of infecting ourselves and others once we've brought food home.

A think a tips thread should be separate from the general coronavirus discussion, as I see this one more as things we can do help contain the virus's spread.

Feel free to add tips you've come across, but, if I may, please limit them to reputable sources. The guy in this video — Dr. Jeff VanWingen — is a family doctor from Michigan.

Joe

Brian S, G T Audio, Whaleblue and 9 others like this.
  2. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I've built an airtight tent in the hall with a UV lamp, all shopping goes in there for decontamination.

Helps ripen the bananas as well.

3. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

UV - C ?

4. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Good idea for a thread, Joe.

At the moment, I don't have any tips other than stay at home as much as possible.

Due to it being impossible to get a supermarket delivery slot, my wife and I will have to venture out now and again. While the local Tesco seems to have things covered pretty well now, the info in that video will be very useful to me.

It's a really good video.

Joe P likes this.
  5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Best precaution of all (barring stay at home) - application of common-sense, which seems to be in a similarly short supply as toilet rolls.

Roger Adams likes this.
  6. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

When the Mrs does the shopping she plops it on the kitchen floor, I then take every item out rub it down with neat bleach, wash all bottles and cans in the sink in bleach, then rinse and dry everything. All bags and paper towels get binned, floor gets washed, sink gets washed, we get washed.

Mullardman and Brian like this.
  7. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

Do you have a pair of 1210s to sit the bags on so they get an all round treatment?

8. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

What happens when a bag of sugar comes in?

9. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Having a decent exercise regime is one way of boosting the old immune system. I'm hoping someone will find whisky and/or chillies also help!

Linds likes this.
  10. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

The bag gets wiped down, cut open and decanter into a container.

Mullardman likes this.
  11. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

If you can smell their fart you're not far enough apart!

12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

there is no need to use neat bleach!

Rockmeister and Mullardman like this.
  13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Good video, pretty much what I’ve been doing for about three weeks now. I have a stack of plastic storage tubs I view as a ‘quarantine’ area, so non perishable goods, e.g. cans, packets of rice, musli etc just stay untouched there for four or five days before being moved into general storage or use. Anything that is shorter life, e.g. veg, fruit etc gets washed up in the kitchen sink, bread gets carefully re-bagged etc. I think I’ve got things pretty well sorted. I end up washing my hands so many times during the process of bringing stuff in it is ridiculous! I’m learning to take it really slow so I don’t make logical errors, e.g. I felt the guy in the video should have been using a ‘clean hand/dirty hand’ approach for some of it, he seemed to re-touch some goods with a hand that had touched a bag or something similar. I try and avoid that, and obviously go slightly more nuts in the process...

PS My only real variable at the moment is the cat as she likes to go out for a short while each day. I live in a well populated area so I’m now assuming people have coughed/sneezed on her and washing my hands or using my isopropyl spray after touching her. If things get really bad out there I’ll keep her in all the time.

14. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I’m sorry, once he starts talking about a virus living on surfaces he looses all credibility. If he’s going to pontificate at least get things right.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I think that is unfair, he is trying to produce a nice clear and easy to understand video for non-scientific people. As a doctor he will know exactly what a virus is! I thought it was very good and if everyone follows it less folk will die.

16. albireo

albireo pfm Member

Jonboi, Linds and Spike like this.
  17. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

It's only likely to be effective if its UV - C, and if its from a lamp, it's very probably not going to be UV - C, as germicidal tubes are the usual source.

18. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

19. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Just because he’s a Dr doesn’t mean he knows what he’s talking about regarding viruses ie talking about antiseptics! For a start we are in a completely different mess due to the over prescription of antibiotics for viral infections.
    When he’s talking about virus been detected in cruise ships 17 days later, it’s the RNA not the particles. This will not cause infection.

20. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I hadn’t even seen the twitter link but you must read it.