1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowering the risk of being infected by SARS-CoV-2

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Mar 29, 2020.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes.

k90tour likes this.
  2. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Takes your breath away!

3. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

What is obvious is that actual cases are being under reported. This means that you're more likely to get it and, conversely, more likely to survive it, than is being statistically reported.

I am a little staggered that the government didn't create a self-reporting tool right at the start for aggregating data about less serious cases and that, last time I looked, there still isn't one.

4. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

There is an App for self reporting developed by King's College Londonand Guy's and St Thomas' Biomedical Research Center called C-19 COVID Symptom Tracker. You report in each day your status.

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

SteveT likes this.
  6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

SteveT likes this.
  7. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Why only a week, why not two to be safe? Or even better, as soon as it gets delivered just set fire to it all.

SteveS1 and window-licker-65 like this.
  8. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

I have a cold. And all of this distancing and hand washing and staying home should have made that unlikely.

9. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Or... it goes to show just how stringent one needs to be to avoid catching Covid 19 ?

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It has made it unlikely. It's just not made it impossible.

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The prevalence of colds and seasonal flu make a handy surrogate marker. This thing is very readily transmitted and if you caught a cold it will make you think.

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

You raise a very good point. Do you have a hunch about how you caught it?

13. window-licker-65

window-licker-65 Well-Known Member

my wife has a cold as well.....Mr Sood in the corner shop had one when we went for a walk to buy some essential cake

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Of course. But that's the nature of chance. There's also the nature of chance as to how severe a dose you get and how badly you react. You're just rolling dice. You can improve your odds but you can't reduce them to zero. It's like the odds of backgammon against chess. I could play the world's best backgammon players and maybe win one in ten. I can't at chess.

15. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Do you join this if you have the symptoms or do they want as many people to join to see what issues they have and if they may or may not contract Covid-19.

16. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Someone just sent me this - the thing to take away from this video, apart from the helpful low-tech instructions to make an effective mask, is that you are protecting other people by wearing one.

17. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Space cake?

18. window-licker-65

window-licker-65 Well-Known Member

something labelled as Whisky cake - was nice...….

19. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Thanks Joe. I was able to skip the take-away part though.

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You would be, if it were an effective filter. The cloth filter he describes, with or without the paper towel, will only catch droplets. It won't catch smaller particles and it certainly won't stop individual virus particles. It's like trying to filter sand using the mesh on a tennis racquet. If some of the sand is stuck together in lumps it will catch it, but individual grains will still go through. If you think that this is enough to make a significant difference, then it's a good idea. If not, then it isn't. There's a reason why medical staff are wearing an FFP3 spec mask and not a bit of old T shirt.

Isobarik and Joe like this.