1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] LP12 with Aro or Aro on it’s own.

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Colin131, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Always wanted to try a Naim Aro arm. Preferably looking for one already installed on an LP12 as a package or on its own.

2. S_J

S_J pfm Member

I'll drop you a PM...

3. LP12Bits

LP12Bits Trade: LP12 Bits

4. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

5. chartz

chartz pfm Member

6. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

I had one but in the end moved my entire LP12 on. I would say that the Aro with the Keel is an entirely different beast - much the better for it, building on all it's strengths. Good luck with your search!

7. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

there is an lp12 with arm and lingo on ebay for 2k are is boxed very good price also has a cartridge

8. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks, I am pretty sure you are referring to one I saw other day and should have bought. It’s gone now.... sadly. That’s the kind of deal I’m ideally looking for.
    There is another one with Armageddon and prefix on eBay but it’s not as good value. Much older Lp12 and no cartridge, and also needs a Naim PSU for the prefix.

9. adamski505

adamski505 Member

LP12 BITS....they will look after you

10. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks will have a look

11. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 35yrs a Naim owner

They have already given you a link above...

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Me too, having had an LP12 for over 30 years.
    I do use one now, but 90+++++% of the ARO can be had from a Nima at a fraction the cost. I have had both on the LP12.

13. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks. I have seen it. It’s still dealer prices though, although certainly cheaper than many dealers for sure. Id prefer to pay a bit less is possible, but If I can’t find anything else I’ll definitely consider it.

14. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks for the tip. Never tried the Nima though I understand it sounds similar. I heard an Aro on an LP12 about 10 years ago so am familiar with the quirks and adv/disads. lack of freq extreme but I’m hankering after that clear midrange again.

15. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

A Funk FXR is also cheaper, new, than an ARO, and many will suggest that the Funk will kill an ARO.

16. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks for the info. I’m unfamiliar with this one. Will read up. Thanks

17. adamski505

adamski505 Member

Whilst the Nima is certainly a good arm for the price ... imho the Aro is in a different league, build and sound wise.
    But you are right the OP sounds like he needs a bargain and the Nima (with right arm cable!) is certainly a bargain..

divedeepdog likes this.
  18. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I also have a very recent Hadcock, also a great-sounding arm which sounds passably like the ARO, although many find it a pain to set up as it has almost infinite adjustability. Some would rate it above the Nima.

It is a pseudo uni-pivot, the bearing principle being most recently reinvented by Vertere (there is precious little that is new under the sun...………..).

19. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Personally, I have never listened to build quality of anything...…………………… That said, how much does a Nima cost new? And that, I very strongly suspect, is pitched at what they can get away with when the only other well-known and available uni-pivot alternative is an ARO.

IMO the Nima and ARO are different, but by no means in different leagues.

Beauty is ALWAYS in the ear of the beholder :)

20. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll stick to the Aro as it definitely seems better.
    I’m not necessarily after an ultra bargain but something half reasonable. The deck that sold on EBay on Tuesday consisted of an Aro, late pre cirkus LP12, Lingo and retipped Troika, all for £2200. That was an ultra bargain.