1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Magnepan MG1's reinstating after 10 years storage

Discussion in 'audio' started by ian r, Apr 13, 2019.

1. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

So good to know that they work Ian - I used to use a Beard valve pre and power amp, and had them way into the room. They sounded wonderful, but not for rockers - acoustic stuff was best.
    While we've never actually met you clearly wanted to try the Maggie's for years - I'm so pleased they've got a new home!

2. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

3. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Maggie’s can do a lot of things rather well, maybe not the ultimate rocker speaker in general, but they do a surprisingly good job of it. Acoustic guitar, percussion etc., yes. Vocals, yes indeed.

On how loud they play, thing about them is you can pour a boatload of power to them and they will pretty much soak it up like a sponge, but after a certain point, they don’t get any louder. And at some point, you may hear the Mylar panel slapping the pole piece. Just feed them with some good clean power, and decent source, and give them some space in your room.

Have fun with them, they certainly can reward you with an experience some never want to leave, and if I was going back to panels, it would probably be Maggie’s or Eminent Technology.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

To my mind people only tend to want to turn things up to deafening levels if they are sounding undynamic, small and just failing to drive the listening space. A big speaker with as large a surface area as the Maggies drives the room air mass superbly and create all the necessary scale and impact well below dangerous listening levels. This being the main reason I like big speakers! Maggies are great IMO, though certainly need a bit of space behind them.

PS At risk of stating the bleedin’ obvious it may be worth pointing out that panels cancel-out at the sides, so you can actually park them surprisingly close to side walls without boom.

TimF likes this.
  5. stuwils

stuwils pfm Member

The tizz is an indication that the wires are de laminating from the mylar, this will need attention as it will only get worse.
    Rgds
    Stuart

6. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Yes Darren and Chartz mentioned that and my ears confirm that now...although i havent done the frequency sweep yet but next best thing Im listening to Ravi Shankar dvd tenth decade, live at escondido from telly to naim to Maggies.... and I have been listening all day to this new dvd. The string thing is gorgeous, the speech between them in mid flow ...I wax lyrical on the music forum which I dont visit much but started a thread on this recording.... the mike work is superb and all on statge to allow imaging to correlate with ones eys and speakers...a lot of fun .. I will try the esl57 again soon ...once I get them unpacked.

I would say they are settling down after their 1000 mile transportation with my dog on them....

I know that there is a tweeter issue in one but also that depending on the damage even conductive glue as mentioned earlier maybe sufficient. But no time to de sock for now...They have a bigger sound than esl and somehow a differrent delicacy... not so much behind as good esls but more out front....dare I say reminiscent of Americans in some eyes.

I relly appreciate the input re what to do, what to expect, what they do and what I need to do.... some recompense to giving my mrs my JBL's

7. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Its not obvious to me up,till now so thanks

It is the case they soak it up and are I think louder than early esl's but you are right they are not a speaker one needs to turn up...personally and allowing for my room I like realistic volumes but my main listening will be acoustic and live ... they do solos ... My room is about 21'x13/14' and so far they are central on the long axis some 4-5 feet out from the wall albeit with big sideboard and desk behind them at the lower level! anyway and about 12 feet apart which is wider than I ran either set of Tannoys or the JBL omnis but they are so large its a different deal placing them than cabs.

I havent had the quads up here yet.... one day I will get an electric supply and finish building.

8. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I vaguely recall a green coloured glue of some sort was supplied by Magneplaner and was for sticking the wire down... May be all they need?

9. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

yeah many web pics of same and i read it comes with the usual factory tweeter repair kit.... Havent had time,to locate THE best dismantling video yet... I think its most staples amd then sock shrinkage.... I dont think I like the newer sock ... its see thru and not Acoustic Reseach tweed

10. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Mods If this should be in Classic Please move it