1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mains Lead £1870!!!!!

Discussion in 'audio' started by Titiksu, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

Standing Ovation from me, Jez.

Well said.

Cheers, Harry

2. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

you fundamentally have missed the point

3. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

Dubious . . .

4. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

My excuse is it's been pissing down since Friday and more is forecast today. Got soaked twice cycling into town this weekend and find cable threads a lot more pleasant pastime.

5. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Fact, I heard it.

We had two cables. They were swapped and I could not see them. We played a piece of music as a control on each cable and I heard a very, very subtle difference in some tympani drums.

I used this difference to properly identify the two cables in four tests.

A
    A
    B
    B

As I said I didn't believe it either until then.

6. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

so the righteous indignation is based on a superiority complex and conjecture ?

the cable manufacturers must be quaking in their hand made loafers that they'll be found out by blokes on the internet.

7. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

yeh, but the person doing the switching would have telepathically/subconsciously communicated the cable type to you.

8. Joddle

Joddle pfm Member

I’ve been watching this thread with interest and even thrown in one or two ideas of my own – but as it goes on I am starting to wonder exactly what it is people are claiming about these expensive mains leads.

Let’s see if I’ve got his right.

Some people seems to believe that by using an expensive or perhaps a better word is “special” lead between their mains socket and piece of audio equipment, the sound can be improved. OK - let’s assume for the moment they are correct.

If that’s so then they are also saying that whatever interference gets into the power line before their mains socket is of no importance to their claim – it’s the very fact they use a special cable that “cures” all the problems that gives better sound. Where and when the problems arise is all taken care of by the cable no matter where or when the porblems were introduced.

Well if that’s so then they must believe that applying something at the end of the power line is the way to deal with problems – i.e. cleaning/improving the power before it actually hits their apparatus. That is what they seem to claim their leads do.

But if that’s the case why spend a fortune on a piece of cable, when it would be very easy to fit a filter in a box place right next to the equipment – then it would not matter how long or a bad quality the mains cable was (assuming good enough to supply the correct current needed). Filter technology is very well understood and a filter to rid RFI and other nasties would be a relatively cheap and easy way to sort the problem.

It seems to me that people believe that cables themselves are what attract the problems of RFI etc in the first place by acting like an antenna – so trying to effect a cure within the very component which could be exacerbating the problem is an odd way of dealing with it – We don’t normally bother with the cabling before the mains socket (OK - some extreme people do) so would it not be better to deal with the problem on its own – i.e. at the end of the power run when there is nothing afterwards left to reintroduce it?

9. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

I should add that the two cables I heard were a standard one and one by Avondale for less than £100.

Interestingly my JVC has a captive mains lead, still treated it to an MK plug though :D

10. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

thank goodness audiophile fuses are less contentious, I would feel uncomfortable having something in my system that an EE on the internet hadn't endorsed.

11. avole

Your righteous indignation? I can't comment on that, but perhaps you would care to propose a series of scientifically rigorous experiments which will prove why cables, and mains cables, act in a way that is beyond our current simplistic knowledge, and also propose a solution about how this previously unknown behavior could be measured.

12. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

I'm happy with the current level of knowledge, if you can't hear a difference then go and do something more productive.

If it still bugs you then you need to go after the money men, those who are funding the pushers of this fraud, no point going after the feckless users, but be careful - this could go all the way to the top, powerful forces are at work.

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

A few pages ago, somebody asked whether the length of mains leads was important.

I was aware, from speaking to two producers of mains cables that, yes, there did seem to be an optimum length. Both manufacturers had, completely independently, arrived at the same length.

I was speaking to another cable manufacturer, some time later. He wasn't aware of this view. I told him of my experience of an optimum length, but didn't tell him what it was. He went away, made up various leads and did some listening with a panel of recording professionals. When we spoke next, he told me a clear preference had emerged, for a lead exactly the same length as I'd heard from the others.

So, yes, I think something is going on which makes length important.

14. paskinn

paskinn pfm Member

How about sneaking up from another direction. Suppose the issue is not physics/engineering but psycho-acoustics and beliefs. Suppose that belief in (say) superior mains cables was supported by changes in our mental state (the placebo effect).
    You could say this was all a delusion, or you could say that the mental state is 'real' and thus the effect is real.
    We tend to talk about external things...in this case cables...while the effects we are describing are experienced through consciousness, an internal, mental, process. In that sense the 'absolutes', the ''either/or'' debate, may be looking in the wrong direction.

15. avole

That's rather shooting yourself, and your argument were it to have such an appendage, in the foot.

16. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

and what was that length ?

17. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

you did your bit too

18. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

don't understand why you say that.

19. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

in which case it's cheaper than therapy

20. sbgk

sbgk pfm Member

with such weapons of mass delusion upsetting the populace you might find the village elders banning non kettle mains cables.