1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00110011)

Discussion in 'audio' started by adamdea, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Organics where added to various PSU rails to lower the input noise and impedance....

2-3 days, the unit only needs to be left powered (no need for music).

2. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

No, the MiniAmps are planned 100W monoblocks...

3. mrflibble

mrflibble pfm Member

4. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

Thanks for the advice John

So are there no longer 250W amps just below the VFET?

What is the cost (or cost difference etc) for miniamp vs 8200MB LakeWest Edition?

5. Ian M

Ian M pfm Member

I've seen posts several times when John says he prefers V0.09 firmware. Does he mean the original V0.09 or the later VA.09. I've stuck with VA.08 for ages as neither of the 09s seem to have a MAC download?

6. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

The Original V0.90

7. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

The MiniAmps will be just under GBP500 a pair - GBP229 each... Short term power is higher, but long term is limited by the size of the heatsinking.

8. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

Interested...what are the timescales? Would Gain be the same as the larger amps?

9. jadidih101

jadidih101 pfm Member

Hi JohnW,

Before you left for China, SOC software was being tested/configured. Do you have an update on that? Also, for those of us who are interested in doing some development\testing can we purchase a prtotype of SOC and mini-DAC?

Can you confirm if work on the MDAC2 board is now complete? Is SOC, PS and back plate the only things left to figure out?

Finally, has all work on FDAC now suspended util after Detox production?

With crazy news of Trump winning the US election, I really need to hear some good news today. :)

Cheers.

10. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

jadidih101,

It seems like the worlds falling apart all around us - and there's nothing we can do :(

For some yet unknown reason Jiri was unable to get the SOC board to boot - so Jerak collected it and managed to get it booting first time - so we are not sure whats going on.

Jarek will leave a fully working system with Jiri - but we have been swapped since my China visit with BOMS and other such issues, Hopefully Jarek might be able to check the audio pathway this weekend - but we are really overloaded.

Today I had a meeting with potential partners for the "Lakewest" European operations (Importation, Shipping, Servicing etc.) as we are approaching first shipments - FDAC will follow MDAC2 - basically when I'm not working on Detox, I'm on MDAC2 - as a VFET owner you can purchase the MDAC2 simply "at cost"...

11. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

Really appreciate all the hard work John and all the crew ... keep on going , but don't burn out !

12. Discovery

Discovery pfm Member

John,

What is the MDAC2 cost for VFET owners please?

13. stephengrenfell

stephengrenfell pfm Member

On a whim I bought one of the FriendlyArm NanoPi M1 H3 boards that John said were to be used as the SoC for MDAC2. The H3 board arrived a few days ago.

So far I have managed to :
    - get it to boot using the FriendlyArm debian legacy linux build
    - install the dependancies needed for Roon Bridge
    - install Roon Bridge (armv7hf)
    - I now have two “Audio Zones” on the H3 which are selectable in Roon runing on my mac mini.
    - I now have music from Roon on the Mac Mini via networked connection (ethernet) and Roon Bridge to the audio jack on the H3 board....

[​IMG]

I also ordered a cheapo DAC card with I2S interface from eBay. I have not had time to connect this to the H3 board either – maybe this weekend.

Clearly this is not exactly the same setup as a clock optimised H3 + LakeWest mini-DAC.

I am not an expert at this by any means. I just wanted to try and maybe contribute something…

I don’t know if this helps or not….( ?)

14. Rjpcardoso

Rjpcardoso pfm Member

Hi Discovery,
    John mentioned above, Vfets owners will jist pay the MDAC2 board at cost. There is no development fees.

15. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

If you have an MDAC as donor unit - then just the PCB cost - lets say GBP200 to GBP250

16. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Yes correct :)

17. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Hi Stephen,

Thats great - and further then we have have got! what's your "feeling" about the solution even in current form?

I need to find time for Jarek to get the H3's I2S port working in "Slave mode" - where we send the Audio Master clock to the H3 (rather then the H3 sending the Audio clock to the DAC) - if its something you feel you can do then we can arrange to send you a DAC PCB with H3 board...

18. EIffel

EIffel Cereal Killer

Wouldn't one also need to add the dedicated '5 rail' PSU? to this cost?

19. jirij

jirij Virtual Member

But that's the easy part, which would have taken me a day had the SD card booted (was damaged or too big or something). The hard part is getting the i2s DAC working - this is partially made easier by Armbian including some custom i2s support by default, but as JohnW mentioned, the driver needs to be modified to flip a certain bit to make it use external clock. This means figuring out in which driver, where, what bit to flip, doing the change and crossbuilding the kernel again, which I assume hasn't been done yet. (Theoretically modifying devicetree/fex could be enough, but with the sparse documentation for some fex values, it may take some tryouts.)

John mentioned there will be internal USB connection between the board and the DAC, which could potentially be a much simpler way of doing things, software wise, as it wouldn't presumably need any driver customization, but the board I had in my hands was i2s only.

20. stephengrenfell

stephengrenfell pfm Member

My feeling about the solution - well Roon Bridge works fine. There are no settings etc.. for Roon Bridge it just runs in the background, and was discovered imediately by Roon Core. So once installed nothing to do on the SoC.

Perhaps the question is more how stable is it and whether it can run headless / left alone for long periods without needing rebooting etc.. Rebooting means either cycle the SoC's 5V supply or bring out the reset button onto the back (once it's installed inside the MDAC case) - something to think about maybe.

As Jiri has said though this is the easy bit.

Over the weekend I will have a look at trying to get the eBay I2S card working, and then try to understand more about slave mode. I will also try connecting a USB audio device (i.e. an MDAC) and see if the USB audio drivers etc.. work or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.