1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Discussion in 'audio' started by JohnW, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Yep, agreed

2. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

3. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Yes. I'm one of those who no longer uses Facebook. I know dozens of people who have left. Also, I presume John gets to approve who joins hos Lakewest group. I think that's how it works. Apologies if I'm wrong.

4. hluga

hluga pfm Member

Yes with devdac V2 and streamer inside. Devdac 2 has integrated AV Bypass and headphones.

5. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi pfm Member

6. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I'm also a big investor in the project... I'm in for the MDAC2 / FDAC, level whatever (the full monty) and a pair of VFET power amps too.

I was alerted to the Audiolab 8xxx CD player by a friend who had bought one to replace his Mark Levinson CD player, and he's someone with a keen ear, and no financial worries, so I took his opinion seriously. I was about to jump from CD playing to full time streaming myself, so I was in need of an 'ultimate' DAC and had already auditioned a very well respected DAC, and was prepared to invest £2k in it. I held off, as the MDAC was (supposedly) on it's way, and promising great things. I held on, and held on... and eventually got one of the first MDACs in the country. I then contacted my long suffering dealer and got a loan of my chosen DAC, so I could compare the two. This took about five minutes, and there was such a clear win for the MDAC that the 'other' DAC was back in the box, and off back to the dealer. I also then tried using the MDAC as a preamp (having had an interesting revelation when my preamp was away being serviced), and again, losing my high-end preamp further improved the system. So, JohnW saved me £1500 on the DAC I nearly bought, and another £1500 on the preamp I then sold.

I re-invested that money, and if my faith in JohnW is rewarded, the MDAC2 will deliver another huge upgrade, and I've not touched my system in ages, so I've saved money by not constantly upgrading.

However, it would be quite nice to see something new on my rack!

Mark Dirac, radamel, Morph3R and 6 others like this.
  7. Nicholas Brown

Nicholas Brown New Member

Hi all, new member here just adding to the number of those who have picked up an M-DAC.

I purchased mine a few days ago and couldn't be happier. I started out in this hobby only a few months ago, getting into headphones. First it was a Dragonfly Black and ATH-M50x, from there I went to a Magni 3 and Topping D30 driving LCD2C's. I picked up the M-DAC with the intention of replacing the D-30 and keeping my Magni 3 as a headamp for the LCD2C and preamp for Audioengine A5+. I sat down for some listening but after some A/B I couldn't see any improvement at all using the dedicated headamp vs the included one in the M-DAC. I ended up replacing everything and now just have the M-DAC on my desk. I probably don't have the most discerning ears but I noticed the better separation and clarity instantly.

I've been through the manual a few times trying to get my head around everything but still have a few questions if anyone could help me out. I have the M-DAC in fixed output mode driving active monitors, using the volume control on the speakers themselves. Is this correct? I wouldn't mind being able to use the M-DAC volume for everything but it seems like having two volume controls active on the one signal might be detrimental?

Further, I use spotify for most of my music at this point in time due to the sheer convenience and effort I have put in to setting up my music. When playing, I notice the readout on the M-DAC switching between 16bit/44.1khz with D3E and 24bit/44.1khz, with the D3E switching off as well. This is only with spotify, and correlates with loud/impactful sounds (quiet songs don't trigger it, it appears on kick drums, loud guitar stomps, etc). I'm pretty sure this is a software issue with spotify, just wondering if it's a setting or something that I have yet to set up correctly, or whether I should just get off my lazy butt and switch over to another listening platform.

Either issue is nowhere near a deal-breaker though. I'm stoked with my decision and hopefully this keeps the upgrade bug occupied for some time!

8. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Spotify compresses the music (MP3 I think) and the MDAC does seem to get confused about sample rates and bit depth when playing compressed files (I assume the designer john Westlake could never imagine anyone listening to such things!) - there is no need for concern, just don't look at the display. I use Tidal (HiFi) and occasionally some things on Tidal come through as MP3 and the odd display usually confirms my suspicions!

When I got my MDAC I ditched my dedicated headphone amp, as the MDAC was clearly better.

9. jamjar784

jamjar784 Heavy Up

Might be worth increasing the D3E suppression level (see page 9 of the MDAC manual for description).

10. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

I previously asked whether the OUTPUT connections on the future DETOX would work with a double-headed USB cable. IIRC the answer was YES since there were female jacks for USB1.1 and USB2.

What about the INPUT jack, i.e., will it be a USB B (squarish) connector?

11. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

None of the pictures I can find shows the rear panel but I can't imagine any reason why it would be anything else.

12. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

13. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

Sorry but I was asking about DETOX input...

14. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Same square b jack

15. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

John, can we have an update as it's now 60 days since you posted this?

HarryB likes this.
  16. BE718

BE718 pfm Member

.... Ready for high end Munich next year ;)

17. BigDog

BigDog pfm Member

Wouldn't it be great for users to discuss their JW equipment performance at the '19 show having had them for 6-7 months!?

18. Jason_PFM

Jason_PFM Well-Known Member

BigDog,

:D

Sibbers likes this.
  19. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

Crime of the century? *chuckle*

20. BE718

BE718 pfm Member

Great indeed, but it ain't gonna happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.