1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mechanical Keyboard

Discussion in 'off topic' started by DongLao, Sep 25, 2019.

1. DongLao

DongLao New Member

Hi all does anyone have any good ideas for a Mechanical Keyboard ? Taking all suggestions or recommendations! thank you in advance.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What is the budget?

PS The answer is a vintage IBM Model M and a USB conversion cable, though there is a very good mechanical keyboard thread in the archive here somewhere with lots of cool smaller footprint options should one not need a numeric keypad (I like having one myself).

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

One thing I’d highly recommend is to only consider keyboards that can be easily disassembled and properly cleaned. This, along with the ‘clicky key’ typing action, being a key reason the Model M is so sought after. They really are all but indestructible, even after decades the (easily removable) keycaps show no wear and the whole thing can be stripped down and properly washed. I have two and they both still look like new. Every couple of years I strip them down, wash all the keycaps and give the chassis a good hoovering. I really can’t cope with the filthy keyboards some folk use!

PS The earlier thread is here. I may merge them later as there is a lot of good info on that one.

5. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

6. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I agree.

Mind you I sold my two mech keyboards, after I started having RSI issues. I now use something boring:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Ergonomic-Desktop-Keyboard-Numeric/dp/B00EO4NN5C

but at least I am pain free. They last about 3 years before playing up. I just got a new one for work which is the second one.

cctaylor likes this.
  7. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Rcook likes this.
  8. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

lagavullin10y likes this.
  9. Konteebos

Konteebos Traitor Re-joiner

I had a quick look in our stock to see if we still had any of these, but we only have a couple of PS2 keyboards left now (41A5076 which is a Black, US-English European type). I must have sold hundreds (if not thousands) of these back in the 90s...

10. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I just LOVE the way that these are called "mechanical". They are all touch-switch pads with "mechanical" keys set above them.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Don’t tell anyone, but even the legendary ‘buckling spring’ Model M upon which all these are based is actually a membrane switch (it just has a buckling spring mechanical actuator in the key assembly)! The earlier and also hugely desirable Model F is a different and fully mechanical switch. I’d love a Model F, though they are very hard to find/expensive in mint condition. I’d actually really like a complete IBM XT computer!

12. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Filco all the way. They last forever.

13. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Filco user here as per Matthew 's recommendation.

14. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

15. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I tried the super compact keyboards (Poker 3) but couldn't adapt. IME only old school Linux heads really get on with them (e.g. you HJKL instead of arrow keys is second nature and you never move from a touch typing position). My favourite compact form is the 75% like my lovely Vortex Race 3:

https://candykeys.com/product/race-3-iso-uk

16. As I’m building my own silent pc audio workstation sometime this week I thought I would have a go at making my own keyboard as well are there any recommended 60% kits out there?

I like the 60% form factor because it’s small and doesn’t take up much deskspace and it’s good for just filling in digital scribble strips, file names etc, not writing war and peace...

17. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Silent PC, noisy keyboard? ;)

18. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

Satan GH60 pcb from Aliexpress, lot of sellers offer than as bundles with various bits.

https://mechboards.co.uk/ are good, used them a couple of times.

19. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I've a 65%, K6 on order from Kickstarter, wireless too.

Keychron K6 | A Compact 65% Wireless Mechanical Keyboard, via @Kickstarter
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...mechanical-keyboard?ref=android_project_share

Currently using a MAGICFORCE 82KEY, keyboard, very clackerty.

20. o rings mitigate that,

Seeker_UK and sam_cat like this.