1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mental Health Awareness Week 13th-20th May 2019

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, May 14, 2019.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

It's Mental Health Awareness week here in the UK and this year's theme is body image. Feel free to share how you feel about your body. Or simply share something about mental health, like how you keep mentally well or whatever.

I used to carry a light jacket around with me and hold it in front of my belly as I was embarrassed at the 'heavily pregnant' fat bulge that preceded me wherever I went. It just so happens I took up running a couple of years ago and now my belly is only a wee bit pregnant, but even if it was a bit bigger, I think I could cope a bit better because of the mental benefits I get from running.

And on that note, here are my top three tips for staying mentally healthy (well, they work for me if no one else): regular exercise (I run a few miles a week and cycle to and from work), spending time with people who love me as I am, and music - the album Ten New Songs by Leonard Cohen can lift me out of the darkest of moods like no other album can... it's my greatest comfort blanket (I can't believe I just said I've got a comfort blanket lol).

2. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I gave up on true happiness long ago, I have manged to learn to live with how I am, some days can really push that to the limit but I seem to cope.

Life is literally one day at a time, I have no long term plans or goals other than getting through tomorrow, in fact some days I will even come home from work without even having planned what I'm going to eat for tea, it's that short term with me.

I don't have any mental health tips because I don't really know what works.

3. windhoek

I meant to say, when I'm mentally unwell I hibernate, eat lots of chocolate and shit, and tell myself I'm worthless and unlovable, although as I say, my prevention and cure = exercise, spend time with people who love me, and listen to Ten New Songs by Leonard Cohen - then I'm okay :)

4. windhoek

I'm not sure true happiness is a thing - all we can be is at one with ourselves and know we're okay with the world and that the world is okay with us. I guess the word I'm looking for is contentedness. When I'm mentally well, I'm content to be me - warts and all.

Ibbots and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The suicide rate among teenage girls in 2017 has gone up 25% over the previous full year, in in England and Wales. It the highest since records began. There’s no conclusive proof but the factor people keep pointing to is idealised body and social image on social media. It seems it’s no longer acceptable to be average.

6. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

We've been offered the chance to play board games at work for a bit of fun, relaxation, bonding or whatever. Only in lunchbreak obviously. I'm sticking with the Certraline and riding my bike up hills, plus a bit of passive agressive attention seeking when I can get away with it.

blossomchris likes this.
  7. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I not sure if anyone on here has serious mental health issues. If you think you are ill I am not so sure you actually are, it is only when it is acute and you do not know what the problem is then you may have an issue.

Exercise also helps me, either strenuous or a brisk walk seem to work best to lift the melancholy

Bloss

Ibbots likes this.
  8. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Lots of exercise, healthy eating, early bedtimes, reducing caffeine and reducing alcohol to almost nothing have helped me with mild anxiety/depression over the past 4 years. I think helping others is also very powerful - if you have time to do some volunteer work.

Looking at the state of UK and US society I have to say that I'm amazed everyone isn't struggling with anxiety and depression - not good times on either side of the Atlantic. Stay well everyone.

Mr Cat and Ibbots like this.
  9. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

I'm just glad not to be seething with unaccountable anger all the time. I'm considerably happier now I've got 'Depression'.

10. Jeff Young

Jeff Young pfm Member

No body issues, just bad genes. Bipolar depression, treated with drugs (SSRIs + anti-convulsants). My grandfather had 3 kids and 6 grandkids. All but one of them have some form of major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder or anxiety disorder.

There's comfort in numbers, anyway. ;)

11. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

12. windhoek

Oh, and the right amount of good quality sleep - that's essential for maintaining mental health as well :)

sean99 likes this.
  13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Not easy if your well being is undermined by workload/workplace stress

14. venton

venton pfm Member

Read Echkart Tolle, or watch some youtube clips by him. His pointers have done me the world of good mentally.

15. windhoek

Quite... and, according to Mathew Walker, the guy who wrote Why We Sleep, one of the best solutions to workload/workplace stress if not the best solution is to make sure you're getting the right amount of good quality sleep! I'm reading the book just now and although I'm only half-way through it, I've changed my outlook on sleep completely as the benefits of getting a good 7-8 hours each night are essential for staying physically and mentally well - both now as a middle-aged man and for my future long-term wellbeing... assuming I have a long-term future!

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I had a DPD delivery yesterday. On the App it said “your driver Scott is 5 hrs away, delivering number 35, you are number 157”. He got to me at 7:30pm and he had more to do. Can you imagine parking a van 157 times in one day in a city?

Mr Cat, ks.234 and blossomchris like this.
  17. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Thanks for that, a 10 min video can transport you into the present.

venton likes this.
  18. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes. I had a delivery from Wickes yesterday. Had phone call from the driver saying he’d be late (6.30) so I said, ‘I hope you’re on overtime’. Of course he’s not. If not, his pay rate has declined surely?

19. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

ref work related stress...
    I never suffered stress until I was diagnosed with bereavement related stress after the death of my step-father. and even then it wasn't anything massive, but those few weeks of feeling in such a way profoundly affected and reinforced how I supervised officers and staff suffering with stress and anxiety.

Before this, I was taught well by a HR colleague back in the day before I got promoted - basically assume nothing, and treat others as you'd want to be treated.

Since leaving the police, I have suffered from anxiety, and the effects of decompression and being institutionalised, and its taken me 4 years and a very supportive wife to slowly get my confidence back.

20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I’m not disagreeing with you. Sleep, and quality sleep is vital, and we can all do stuff to improve our quality of sleep.

My issue is with employers who will push any number of ‘mindfulness courses’ as a way of dealing with the symptoms of workplace stress, and thereby avoid dealing with the causes of workplace stress, which is often an excessive workload.

In so doing employers are fixing the solution onto the individual victims of stress rather than systemic causes.

If we are serious about mental health, we need to start looking at the causes.