1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mental Health Awareness Week 13th-20th May 2019

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, May 14, 2019.

1. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I think we are fundamentally incompatible with the environment that we have created for ourselves.

The mobile phone especially.

2. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Some of the happiest people I have met are those who give their time to help those In need. It's a sure fire way to lift anyone's spirits.

According to a Tory on politics live today, this government has reduced poverty by some 400,000 since 2010 so we can all be happy & joyful for that :rolleyes:

blossomchris likes this.
  3. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Death toll or rebranding?

4. Where I work, it is not unheard of for people to get Disciplinary Sanctions for Work Place Stress... It's a Safety Critical Job too... Until this mindset changes, things will continue to get worse...

On balance, I spend quality time with friends; I don't speak to my family; and indulge myself in my hobbies.

I've found a book that is useful to me. It is called The Self Help Delusion by Peter Seal.

5. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Just speaking to people who've experienced something similar and knowing it's not just me has been a great help. There's stigma attached to mental health problems but only because we're not open about it. I went on a decent bike ride in the sun this morning with a good bloke I know a little through work and we chatted about our own problems in a matter of fact way, prompted by one of us mentioning the positive effect of exercise. Neither of us knew the other had issues before. Followed by skiving work and a snooze this afternoon. Then picked the kid up from school and made a simple, easy evening meal without doing the tidying up after. Cleaned some records and I am now in my favourite position, horizontal with headphones on. Content.

Andrew C! and blossomchris like this.
  6. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

Just seen the second of the three programmes the Beeb is doing on mental health, Anxiety then Psychosis, Depression to come. Excellent highly recommended.

7. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Some of the worst people I know obviously don't know they are ill. My girlfiends auntie went crazy after her husband left her years ago and is convinced the Mafia are after her. She moves to different areas all the time because she thinks they are following her. Our answer phone is always full of message because she doesn't stop talking. You can leave the room mid conversation or leave the phone on the side and she will just keep talking and talking.

My old mate who had a very severe case of OCD knew he was mental because he told me so on a number of occasions - Maybe the only reason he knew was because people had told him, but deep down he didn't believe them?

8. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

And people wonder why those with mental health issues are stigmatised

gintonic likes this.
  9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

I think the first stage of actually trying to recover is just admitting it to yourself.
    I don't know about others, but when I was seriously depressed (and denying it to everyone, including me), I was pretty snappy, offhand, even more sarcastic than normal (and not in an attempted amusing way) and generally somewhat more anti-social. Post waking up to the fact that I was suffering from depression, even if I was still rather introverted, being aware helped me to avoid being a bit of a prat to those around, particularly my better half, who is a wonderful lady.
    I'm now more open to people around me about how I feel, and that does seem to help.

As others have said, exercise, music and similar help. For my commute to work, I have an MX5, which gets driven very conservatively and brings out plenty of smiles.
    Another hobby I took up was flying flight sims. They're complex, so require focus, yet also manage to be highly relaxing. I find it very pleasurable to be able to take an early morning flight over the Persian gulf, before conducting a carrier landing.

Ibbots likes this.
  10. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

That's not what i meant to say, Just a bad choice of words, coupled with a lack of time to think about what I wrote.

11. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I’m sure, but as I’m someone who’s wrestled with depression at times, I’m very conscious of it. I think we need to remember it. The pejorative terms like crazy and mental are very wounding.

fatmarley likes this.
  12. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

Having suffered with anxiety and depression for a number of years its great that a light is being shone on the subject and it being recognised as an illness. In my case it can become debilitating at times where nothing seems to give me respite from an overwhelming sense of despair and doom. I struggle to function to the point where menial household tasks can seem like mountains to climb and more complex issues are insurmountable.
    Talking about it does help but its very difficult to relate to if you've not been there. The Samaritans have helped me in my worst moments and i thank them very much for their support.
    Modern life is the main culprit i suspect. A feeling of constant pressure , bad news everywhere , no time to switch off and reflect. Being treated unfairly by Government systems where you are simply a number and not a human being with complex needs, hopes and dreams.

neildalton, lordsummit and sean99 like this.
  13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

likewise, I train 5 days a week and still feel a worthless peace of sh*t...

body image, guess I'm the opposite of most on here - I've always been underweight until about 7-8 years ago? when I started to train, but still feel self conscious about my body... :(

sean99 likes this.
  14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

You’re right that the news has been depressing almost continuously since 2001. Hang in there - there are a lot more good people than bad - it’s just that the bad ones make their presence felt.

15. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

News has always nearly been bad news.

I have a copy of The Times from 1912, the headlines and news not a lot different today. Wars, conflict, trade wars, poverty and so it rolls on.

I still think the WW1 and 2 were the worst for here. The stress of finding an air raid shelter, being invaded, worrying about relatives friends etc. IMO
    nothing today compares to that.

Bloss

Mr Cat likes this.
  16. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Bloss - agree about WW1 and WW2 - the 1950s and 1960s were a more optimistic time. I would also say the 1990s were more optimistic since the cold war had ended and it seemed that perhaps the world might become a more peaceful place- which unfortunately didn't happen. I think what makes the present depressing is the combination of the collapse of the natural world, and the apparently unstoppable rise in inequality.

17. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I meet lots of different people on a daily basis through work, and quite often the ones who seem happier are those who completely ignore the news/politics. They obviously have very little handle on what is going on in the world but it doesn't seem to bother them, they just get on with life and worry about them and theirs.

I can't decide if I could do it or not, on one hand it's quite appealing.

sean99 likes this.
  18. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

If all the current news is affecting you, then I would look at ways to dealing with it, because your work may suffer and that will make things worse.
    For me I try to only concentrate on and assist people I know, it keeps the world smaller and more controllable. Perhaps this is somewhat easier for me being
    retired, but I did change my views on life some 12/13 years ago when I left management roles and returned to working on the tools.

Bloss

19. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

[​IMG]

...reminds me I need to get my little blue kart back on the road...

James Evans likes this.
  20. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

This is 2019 is it not.
    I half expected you to say village idiot at one point, then switched off realising the ignorant have no off switch.

Those with OCD are mental, **** me.