1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Merc E Class Estate Owners Q

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andyoz, May 12, 2016.

1. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Hi,

I'm looking to move on my 10yo Volvo v70. Decided that a second hand E-class merc will be the go. Two Q's for any owners here:

- is there a big difference with the 2013 update (single headlight versus double headlight versions).

- really want the 6 cylinder but they are scarce. Is it worth waiting for one? The joy of the Volvo is it was a lazy 2.5lt diesel and I still believe larger capacity engines last longer and can equal small engine economy on the motorway driving I generally do.

Andy

2. topa

topa Sans CDPs

Don't worry about the 4pots, the 220cdi or 200 petrol are very reliable on the around 2013 modells. You won't hear much of them and the power is enough, even here on German Autobahns.

No problems with the DPFs either by the way.

I find the pre 2013 model very ugly, the facelift a bit less so.
    A Magazin here once stated they sell remarkably well DESPITE the design.. :)

Think that's why they can be had for very reasonable money right now.

But if you ever sit in a brand new C class, you're spoilt and would never be able to go back to that old E design. Happened to me.

3. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

The 6-cyl engines sound nicer but all other things being equal use more fuel - extra weight of the engine, 2 more cylinders to move up and down for the same result, fatter tyres, etc.

On the latest E-class the official extra-urban number is 78 mpg for the E-220d versus 61 for the E-350d. OK, the numbers are inflated, but the difference is likely to remain in real life.

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Yes but the 350 is a much nicer engine. That 220d i4 lump has been around for ages and is nowhere near as smooth as the current equivalent in BMW or VAG.

5. topa

topa Sans CDPs

It's a very different engine than the 220 from pre 2006.
    Still not the quietest, or most economical, but the most reliable.
    Which defines the brand Mercedes.

6. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Ended up getting a fully loaded Sport spec 2011 estate with v6 diesel. Stonking engine that, I was really shocked how good it was.
    Wouldn't touch a 4cyl diesel after that now...screw the extra fuel.

It's got the two seats in the back as well so I'm the kids fave dad at the moment.
    When I shut the rear hatch electronically from my drivers seat it's all a bit Star Wars.

7. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

I had an 04 E220 CDi estate from February to October last year and it nearly bankrupted me!

Needed new discs and pads on the front: €400.

And two new air-struts for the rear suspension: €1100 plus labour.

I opted instead to get them to remove the whole air suspension and fit coils and springs and new shocks: €900.

Plus servicing and four new tyres which was another €550.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest :)

I've an 06 Audi A4 2TDi now and so far so good.

8. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Soz to crash this party but Mercs have noisy diesels compared to BMW. My dad has the latest 2.5 diesel motor in his current E Class. I have a 2004 BMW 320d. Mine runs more quietly, smoother (at low speeds), faster and a lot more economically (at any speed). He's also had two of the Merc 320 diesels (is that the right size?) one going back as far as the late 90s, then the newer one in about 2007. They were even worse, like tractors.

We take the Merc to Austria every year. No matter how hard I try or slow I go on the Autobahn, 44mpg is as good as it gets. 38 in day to day driving.

I'd definitely swap with him, as it is new, has more space, a nicer interior, was more expensive to start with, has better gadgets and 2 seats in the boot. But if=f you are mainly bothered about the motor, I am not sure a Merc diesel is the best choice.

9. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

I should mention that the engine in the Merc I had was very good. Pulled like a train with no excessive smoke and good economy.

It was noisy enough getting up to speed but then not invasive, and on the motorway there was hardly any wind noise.

A lovely old cruiser which the new owner is probably now enjoying fault-free after my spending :)

I know I could have kept it but I had enough of spending!

10. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

It's also a symbol of prosperity / capitalism. And that just won't do....

11. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

That's not uncommon, Mercedes had some real quality issues with their vehicles until they sorted them out after 2008 I've read

12. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Andy, I'd recommend taking a glance at available E Class lease deals, even if just for reference. There have been some crazy levels of value over the past year or two.

13. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

What are those lease things showing up exactly?

I always buy my cars with cash....screw the whole 'finance' industry (unless it's property!)

14. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Is there actually a 2.5ltr diesel available? Do you mean E250 which is still a 4 cylinder.

I think you are comparing a Merc 4 cylinder with a BMW 4 cylinder. Personally, I wouldn't buy either. I still don't believe the hype that tricked up 4cylinder diesels last as long as the 6 cylinders (even my BMW dealer neighbour warned me off BMW 4 cyl diesels with about £100k miles on the clock - he sees them coming into the workshop....that was 6yo though)

If you haven't tried a Merc V6 you need to as they are amazing. I had a 5cyl Volvo D5 and this things on another level. Very linear power delivery.

15. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I was really replying to another post about 4 cylinders.....as you were!

16. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Is your dads the new E-Class as i read that 4cyl is 'better' than the last one (which I note that reviewers now call rough and rattly but used to chose their words more carefully before ti was released!). Really glad I didn't buy the older 4cyl diesel then if BMW is that far ahead (which I don't doubt).

V6 all the way for me...

17. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Correct, the one before was quite bad, as was the one before that. They were about the same. This one is better but it still surprises you and is still louder than my old beemer

18. Greg

Greg 2t5b

whereas I try to avoid owning things which depreciate :D

I've seen deals on 3 + 23 E Class Estate with Premium pack (lots of extras) and the 9 speed auto box for sub £300 per month, though that's with the 220 engine.

19. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yeah, I must be sold school.
    I got this mint 2011 E-Class estate for £12k cash.

I just don't want a new car that I have to care about too much. In the summer, I might have handfull of kids in the back with sand etc..

My neighbour is a BMW dealer and he once told me..."When you see my wife drive down the street in a new car that means it's cheaper to finance than to buy a 4-5yo second hand motor". I'm still waiting.

Having said that, depreciation on my car will be about £2k a year (maybe) so that costs me £165/mth. Food for thought...isn't their a hidden sting in the tail with those lease deals though. Don't trust any of it.

20. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Andy, I completely understand where you're coming from on this, I've wasted far too much time trying to figure out the perfect solution.

I do agree that one concern is how much of a beating it will take and probably if I still had young kids I might feel differently, though my youngest is now 13.

What I would say is "The Industry Fair Wear & Tear Standard" seems to me to be a genuinely fair balance between lessor and lessee.

For example wheel scrapes - you're allowed up scuff up to 25% of the rim and two wheel spokes before you would have to pay for a wheel refurb. Wheel refurbs vary according to wheel type and manufacturer, but a lovely 20" AMG alloy would cost £88.

Often panel repairs will actually be cheaper handed back than done privately before handing back - eg. £138 for VW panel after hand-back vs £180+ privately (unless you know the right dude). Corner scuffs £50 vs £80+

A decent full valet before hand back has extracted dog hair and scuffs, interior marks etc.

There maybe exceptions, but in my experience with BMW, Merc and VW so far it's been extremely straight forward. I guess the theme is they want people to lease again.

The lease costs tend to simply reflect residuals - great value leases are often a combo of a strong residual coupled with a brand push; Merc have been pushing really hard recently to try to unseat BMW as the standard "premium" choice. The one obvious downside is if you want a very specific vehicle / spec which doesn't happen to offer very good residuals.

I do get the feeling Brexit may end up making these no brainer lease deals a thing of the past, but for now it seems to make the most sense (to me anyway).