1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal

Discussion in 'music' started by egodissolve, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Oh god that looks incredibly Americanised. I half expected a Red Pepper voiceover to come in. ‘One man...’

2. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

I reckon that Mastodon's three album series of Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye represent their best work. I first saw them when they were touring Blood Mountain supporting Tool (2006?) and it remains my favourite to this day. All of the albums since Crack The Skye have one or two decent tracks on them, but nothing that stands out for me.
    I was at the same Glasgow gig, I found Kvelertak a touch disappointing - but that may be because the last couple of times I saw Mastodon they were supported by Russian Circles, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Redfang - all of whom I really do like (Especially Russian Circles).
    Brave man hitting the mosh pits! I didn't see the "Pit Troll" out this time which was a shame!

3. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

I thought I had stood far enough to the side to avoid it all. But still ended up with a few collisions.

Happy Burns night.

Ally

4. egodissolve

egodissolve ....you're telling me Unicorns aren't real!

5. Blackmetalboon

Blackmetalboon pfm Member

When it was announced that a film was being made I had hoped it would do the book justice....

...hopefully the film is better than the trailer!

I’ve already got this, it’s a good album.

6. egodissolve

Ok, the time has come to check out the Spanish band Altarage on the back of another high score in the blogs. As you all know I am a Big admirer of Dodecohedron who basically nail dissoblack IMHO so this will be interesting.
    I have listened before but they didn't immediately grab me but I will give them the chance starting at their 2016 debut that has been touted in some channels as their best.
    The most recent pouring of praise was from Kronos on AMG and he is known for his admiration of Imperial Triumphant and Portal so this will be an adventure...
    Here we go....

7. egodissolve

Firstly Altarage are definitely not black they are death, literally!
    They are wrathful and ferocious yet create soundscapes that are somehow endearing and beautiful. The first release Nihl is inspiring, I listened to it none stop for 2 days, it beat the crap out of me but I just wanted it more....
    If any one is interested listen to track 3 and 7, they showcase the bands strengths. Don't judge them on one listen.

http://altarage.bandcamp.com/album/nihl

On to the second release Endinghent...I am looking forward to this. I can certainly hear what all fuss is about.

8. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Earlier I happened to listen again to two albums I'd half forgotten I'd got, both of which chime to an extent with this sort of thing. They're from a few years ago and I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere much, so they may not be on many people's radar. The dissoblack label sort of applies, but they're coming from a more nightmare BM perspective than the DM direction of Portal et al.

Cloak of Altering is kind of the slightly more Emperor-y of the two (though it's still several orders of magnitude more impenetrable). https://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/album/the-night-comes-illuminated-with-death-2011

And De Magia Veterum is the more Portal/Aevangelist kind of feeling of the two (but still coming more from BM).

Disclaimer - both are fairly hard core; neither is really much good for people who only like actual tunes!

9. egodissolve

Nice Post Dave, I have an LP by Ævangelist
    (http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/enthrall-to-the-void-of-bliss) and to say it was a challenge would be an understatement! The bands you detailed are new to me to I will explore more...
    Eventually shifting through CDs I purchased last year.
    I have some real beauty's to get through
    Clouds "Dor"
    Swallow the Sun "When a Shadow Is Forced into the Light"
    Woebegone Obscured "The Forestroamer"
    Aphonic Threnody "Of Loss and Grief" and
    Monolithe "Nebula Septem"
    I have a few more coming from Aesthetic Death by the likes of UR, The Veiled (on vinyl) , Doomed and Dictators "Dysangelist" on LP (remastered onto vinyl by Greg Chandler)
    If anyone hasn't experienced Dictator it's a classic of its genre in my humble opinion, I have this on CD already but am so interested what Greg can discover.

10. egodissolve

Anyone of you guys into Downfall of Gaia? Much of their back catalogue is available on EMP at a budget price...am I understanding correctly that they have signatures close to CoL?...

Jlc likes this.
  11. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

Wednesday, nipped up to Glasgow The Garage to see Darkness Divine who were supporting Inglorious. Needless to say I wasn't going to stay to watch that real life David Brent prat who fronts them. Check this out...

So, I nipped down to The Cathouse to see Obscura. Their album from last year Diluvium really grew on me and I would thoroughly recommend it. https://obscura.bandcamp.com/album/diluvium. They were great most of the time, though the gig was surprisingly uninvolving at times with notable energy dips in the crowd. Fallujah one of the support bands were pretty good and got the energy levels up.

I see Children Of Bodom are releasing a new album in March. If you like your Death Metal on the melodic side it should be worth checking out. Their website gives a taste of whats to come. http://www.cobhc.com/site/

I'll be at The Cathouse Friday(which is tonight) to see Motorheadache and have a few beers. I just wish they would do draft Guinness.

Ally

deek likes this.
  12. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

I went to see At The Gates and Behemoth last night. WITTR were on as well, but I had to be elsewhere beforehand and missed them.

It was nice to see a good sized venue pretty much full, but to be honest ATG seemed a bit lacklustre to me. I mean, one of the guitarists had glasses on throughout - hardly throwing yourself into it like your life depends on it. Maybe I was expecting a bit much to think Blinded by Fear would go off like a rocket with a crowd, some of whom were barely born when it came out. Behemoth had a great stage production for this kind of show with a video screen, lights etc. But it all seemed a bit slick for my tastes, and thus a touch hollow. And when your man decided to put a hat on that looked like a large squid torso, I headed home. Couldn’t knock their professionalism though, and the crowd, although a touch static, seemed to loudly like it.

I’ll be watching Watain in a few weeks, and it’ll be interesting to see if they have a similar slickness.

egodissolve likes this.
  13. Blackmetalboon

I saw them last Friday at the Concorde in Brighton. They serve draft Guinness there!

14. egodissolve

If anyone is interested I had this email from Gilead Media...

The first four Krallice albums, Self-titled (2008), Dimensional Bleedthrough (2009), Diotima (2011), and Years Past Matter (2012) will be re-issued using brand new masters by guitarist/engineer Colin Marston. Each album will be available on limited smoky color vinyl and feature revised artwork
    www.drycoughrecords.com in the UK.

Statement regarding the re-master from Krallice guitarist/engineer, Colin Marston:

I decided to re-master the first four Krallice albums for the vinyl reissues. As a music fan, I'm suspicious of the term "re-mastered," because it usually means the new version will have more treble and more compression (i.e. "louder") than the original, even when those treatments negatively affect the sound. It is important for music makers and music consumers both to understand that loudness is not an inherent quality of sound recordings; it's always relative and ultimately at the discretion of the listener. A heavily compressed ("loud") album can still be listened to quietly. Understanding this has freed me from the psychological insecurities of considering comparative loudness and has allowed me to make decisions that only improve sound when mastering.

These Krallice reissues are a rare case where the re-masters actually employ LESS eq and compression than the old masters. So this is a revision with the goal of letting more of the original character of the recording/mix shine through, rather than trying to "update" the sound, or make it more "competitive." Let's remove competition from music and allow it to be what it is fundamentally: unique and genuine personal expression.

15. egodissolve

Jlc and Blackmetalboon like this.
  16. Blackmetalboon

egodissolve likes this.