1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal

Discussion in 'music' started by egodissolve, Mar 3, 2018.

1. egodissolve

egodissolve ....you're telling me Unicorns aren't real!

I like Mylingar so I was pleased to see a new release. The previous releases have been NYP so I thought I would ask but this one is also through 20buckspin so time will tell, hopefully they'll offer a free download when it's eventually released. I will be patient as I have some catching up to do on BC ;)

2. Blackmetalboon

Blackmetalboon pfm Member

@egodissolve I see you’ve just bought This Gift Is A Curse - A Throne or Ash.

I had read the AMG review yesterday and listened to the two tracks (Wolvking & Thresholds) that were described as “impenetrable balls of fury and despair”. I was honestly expecting something along the lines of Dodecahedron or Imperial Triumphant, I think the reviewer needs to reassess their record collection if this is considered impenetrable!

P.S. It’s now on my BC wish list.

3. egodissolve

I didn't know AMG had reviewed it to be honest BMB, it has been on my wishlist since it was announced and purchased it instantly on release. I haven't listened to it yet but on initial evaluation it's more down the line of Phantom Winter (as you know a favourite of mine), I love the aggression and chaos with flutters of melody and structure, its right down my street.
    I haven't been reading AMG recently, the reviews haven't interested me and when they do they are a bit OTT and annoyingly miss the point, so I will listen to the This Gift is a Curse and then read the review. Have they reviewed the Panzerfaust?

4. Blackmetalboon

Panzerfaust received a reasonably favourable review. I find AMG has its uses, not everything is released via BC, so it’s good for finding out new music released by other means.

5. egodissolve

My whole world evolves around Bandcamp now BMB! I don't have much time to listen to CDs, everything these days is through my trusty AKG N60NC and Sony phone. Although I have bought CDs recently, obviously the (I need to say it again!) remarkable Deathspell Omega, Dodsferd, Illimitable Dolor, Cerebrum, Swallow the Sun, UR, The Ocean and Clouds.

Edit: enjoying the Panzerfaust!

6. egodissolve

Going back the AMG BMB I guess I never got over the poorly written reviews of UADA and Wayfarer. They left a bitter taste...

7. egodissolve

8. Blackmetalboon

At the moment most of my listening is by one of these...
    [​IMG]
    ...via Bluetooth from my iPod. Even though I have iTunes automatically convert files to MP3 when I sync my iPod I have unfortunately filled it up!:(

At home I usually have a stack of newly acquired CD’s that get played, occasionally I’ll dig some older ones to put on, but most of the time I stream ripped/downloaded files. There’s nothing quite like sitting down and selecting a playlist of albums to see out the evening.

There’s nothing quite like holding a grudge!:D

egodissolve likes this.
  9. egodissolve

I wasn't at all sure, being gullible and all, whether you are actually pulling a fast one on me, then I recall you being the proud owner of a Melco which probably means that the DeWalt is probably more reliable and actually plays back music on demand! :)
    As for the "grudge", yep, you got me there. I hold my hand up to that one but AMG were just wrong, so, so wrong :D

Blackmetalboon likes this.
  10. Blackmetalboon

I discovered this courtesy of AMG, and to rub salt into the still raw wounds, it scored higher than UADA and Wayfarer!:D:D:D

I do have a soft spot for over-the-top, pompous symphonic metal but I think it’s the distinct vocals that drew me in.

11. Blackmetalboon

Nope, not pulling a fast one. I use an 64GB iPod with either B&W C5’s or PSB M4U 2 headphones on the move, although the latter are now only fit for the bin, and (when possible) the Dewalt speaker at work. That can add up to almost 11hrs of use some days.

It certainly makes me more appreciative of what I have indoors!

egodissolve likes this.
  12. egodissolve

Now that does not surprise me. As for rubbing salt into my infected raw wound, yep, it stings like hell!

Blackmetalboon likes this.
  13. egodissolve

14. egodissolve

15. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

I quite enjoyed that.

Also quite enjoyed giving a slightly lesser known King Diamond album a run through earlier, The Graveyard. Hadn’t played it in ages until the last week or so. And I realised when I gave my GF a quick précis of the story quite how horrible it is!

egodissolve likes this.
  16. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Just had an email from Rainer Landfermann to say that his album has been released.

Not sure if anyone would remember, but about a year ago I mentioned him and shared a track of what he was up to. It's mental stuff, very off the wall, very inventive. I think it's brilliant.

Anyway, I figured some here might be interested in checking it out. It's here - https://rainerlandfermann.bandcamp.com/

17. egodissolve

Glad you liked it Dave, there is something special about FotS that's makes me buy everything they release!

18. egodissolve

I had a quick listen and was certainly surprised but also intrigued...what is it about this guy that stretches, bends and beats metal into submission! I will give it a full run through when I have some time tomorrow...thanks for the heads up.

19. egodissolve

20. deek

deek pfm Member

I only managed to hear about 10 mins yesterday before being interrupted. Clean vocals eh, interesting. I'm just about to go and listen to it now.

Rainer Landfermann is on the list too.