1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Michelin Tyre factory closure

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifinutt, Nov 6, 2018.

1. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Very sad day for these factory workers .... what is going on ? everytime i hear a recommendation for all weather tyres its a michelin cross climate ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-46109213

Dundee Michelin factory workers have spoken of their shock after the company announced its intention to close the plant, with the loss of all 845 jobs.

The tyre factory will close by mid-2020 after the French firm deemed it "unsuitable" in the current climate.

Workers were sent home until Thursday following a meeting at the factory officially confirming the closure.

2. Engels

Engels pfm Member

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Happy Brexit everyone.

4. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Time for Nicola to push on for that 2nd referendum....

deek, denni55 and Snufkin like this.
  5. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I would guess if it was because of brexit they would be closing sooner than 2020.

6. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Scotland and Wales make the news on the same day for similar reasons. Our very shaky economy has just had a few more wobbles....

About 500 UK jobs are at risk after an automobile and industrial firm announced plans to close plants amid "uncertainty surrounding Brexit".

Schaeffler plants in Llanelli and Plymouth are earmarked for closure, with the firm proposing to relocate production to plants outside the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46110825

7. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Another closure announced today for a parts supplier in Wales. This is due to Brexit. I really cannot see how the brexiteers can continue to say we will be better off, there must be a massive queue of really big foreign owned employers with their finger hovering over the 'kill' switch.

hifinutt likes this.
  8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I was in a Weatherspoons the other day and each table had a flyer on it from uncle Tim. Apparently being outside the EU is going to be great because there'll be no tariffs. I think that may have been the tiniest of fibs. Details here...

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/news/2018/10/what-dont-you-like-about-free-trade-mrs-may

9. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

Terrible news, I know families with multiple employees, they're devastated.

10. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Sad to see. Unfortunately cheap Chinese ditchfinders are all the rage. I find it incredible that people will scrimp on tyres but that’s the reality.

Linds and Snufkin like this.
  11. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Michelin also manufacture there with 2 factories I think?

Instead of blaming brexit, I'd bet that they will be shoving production that way.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Not necessarily, the logical way to close a factory is not to invest further in it with new tooling etc, but still run it as long as a profit can be made, i.e. allow obsolescence to take its natural course. I would guess that at a year or so. We’ll be seeing it a lot!

HarryB likes this.
  13. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

This is apparently because of cheap tyres from the far east and also because the plant produces smaller width tyres.

Very bad news and for some reason just before Christmas always seems to strike hardest. Sadly do not see much chance of the Westminster mob trying to help.

14. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

In an article about Nissan it was pointed out that each factory within the group (Nissan, Renault etc) have to 'bid' to get permission to tool up for any new models being planned. Each case is examined within the context of what is best for the group, not what is important for any particular factory. I can't see a future for a non EU UK Nissan plant beyond the current models they are producing unless we become a seriously low wage economy. Brexit eh?

15. Realist

Realist pfm Member

Welcome on board the "good" ship(t) Brexitania. Getting that sinking feeling yet?

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I also worry that, even if no Brexit, or BINO, if the preparations have been made to pull the plug, why would they not follow through and do it? So we’re probably beyond the point of no return for many businesses, they just haven’t gone public yet.

17. thebiglebowski

Brexit is a fvcking disaster but a lot of these clousures will be using brexit as an excuse to move production to the far east etc.

John Channing and Mick P like this.
  18. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

even if true, there's no need for the 'but' in there, better might be 'and at least a part of this will be due to'. ie, no brexit, no excuse.

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I don't know where they are making Michelins, I tried to get some replacements for my front wheels (M Latitude Sport 3) and they were like looking for Unicorns.......

20. thebiglebowski

The biggest impact to manufacturing from brexit will be supply chains and just in time deliveries, if the factory is able to continue to make a profit for over a year after brexit how is brexit the cause of the closure then?

Mick P likes this.