1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Michell Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference

Discussion in 'audio' started by Dowser, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

How good are these turntables? There is one for sale locally that is badged as a Grace Custom, but both arm and deck look identical to the Michell. I think it is an early one.

Anyone tried the TT and arm combo - how are they? I love the looks, but am unsure of the sound quality.

Thanks, Richard

2. delapoer

delapoer Member

I don't know about the Grace version but have owned a Michell with Fluid Arm for decades and it makes a good sound BUT there is little to stop audio feedback through the solid legs or acoustic feedback due to the vinyl only being supported in six small areas. Also the fluid arm only takes high-compliance cartridges (Shure V15 is good). In practice it still makes a very good sound.

3. acevialli

acevialli Member

I had a Transcriptor Saturn with the fluid arm. The arm was nice and the turntable looked great, but not the most solid turntable. Worth getting at a good price but much happier with my Lenco with a Jelco arm.

4. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

Beautiful turntables with looks that stop people in their tracks. I have several versions here including a double Prisma.

They look better than they sound, though they are not bad. I can think of several modern turntables which don't sound anywhere near as good.

5. packtech

packtech Ex band member twice.. :)

How do you know it is actually a Michell/Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference? There is no history of anything like that being badged as a Grace Custom? Can you give a picture maybe? They were either Badged as Michell or Transcriptor. If anything else it is not pukka..