1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Miles on vinyl

Discussion in 'music' started by JTC, Sep 16, 2003.

1. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Hi folks.

Whilst on holiday recently I picked up a copy of "Kind of Blue" along with some other stuff. I already have this on cd, but always meant to get it on vinyl and was hanging back for an original pressing but to no avail.

Anyway, the pressing I have is one of these audiophool 200 gram Quiex pressings, but it's still a Columbia issue. The thing is, wow. I mean, WOW! I'm not normally impressed by big heavy pressings, but this one is something else... it's considerably better than the cd by a pretty huge margin, and it's well worth seeking out for anyone looking for a good vinyl KoB.

What I started to wonder, though, is whether the original mono Miles pressings are worth the premium. So far I've evaded them, as at a going price of around £20-25, they're not particularly cheap, but if the original pressings can offer the sound of the Columbia 200g issue, I'd be keen to start snapping them up*.

* I know someone with around 10 Miles Monos for sale at the £20ish price, but of course I'm not going to say who... ;)

Anyway, can anyone comment on the quality of these early pressings relative to recent audiophool repressings?

Thanks,

jtc

2. HansW

HansW pfm Member

The record you have purchased has been reissued by Classic Records.

I totally agree with you. I have two CD versions and three vinyl versions (but no mono originals) of this record and this 200 g Classic is the best by far.

I would say that Classic vinyl ressiues in general are excellent.

Hans

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got both the Classic Records reissue and an original Living Stereo copy of a old Dick Schory lounge core album (Bang Baroom and Harp), and the Classic is at least as good as the real thing! This is high praise indeed.

Classic Records, Alto Analogue and DCC are IMHO consistently superb. They do genuinely equal the finest pressing from the ‘golden age’ and you obviously don’t need to worry about whether its been gouged by some 50s radiogram.

Tony.

4. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

KoB surely should be stereo? There will obviously be old mono copies around but if you're interested in the sound then stereo is it.

OTOH I think 'Birth of the Cool' is eternally mono.

Paul