1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Milk

Discussion in 'off topic' started by wacko, Feb 9, 2019.

1. wacko

wacko pfm Member

There must be few food categories (includes everything made from milk) that have such positive and negative press. Is it correct to say the positive views are traditional/historic and the negative more scientific/new ? I suspect it is more confusing than that simple divide.
    There are fishies that know a lot about this kind of stuff so is milk/yoghurt/cheese bad for you or not ?
    Is there a significant difference between cow milk and sheep/goat milk products ?

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I spent over 10 years manufacturing the stuff, I've been technical manager of 2 dairies. Shape yogurt is one I developed, I know it intimately. Every bit of its formulation, every nut and bolt of the process line. What do you want to know? I can give you chapter and verse.

Yes, btw, there is a difference between sheep and cow milk. Mostly fat level. Fat levels vary, cows is about 4% fat, varies with season, feed etc, other mammals vary. Can you believe that porpoise milk is 48% fat, same as double cream? This is to get the calories into the calf. I bet it tastes vile though, it will have fish taint from the mother's diet. On that note, if you ever have a pregnant wife and she puts her milk in the fridge, don't be tempted to taste it. It won't hurt you but if she has eaten onions you'll know. I heard of one bloke who put it on his cornies when he was half asleep. It was a spit out job.

Mr Cat likes this.
  3. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Just been in an area with a big USA influence, they eat too much cheese and it shows!

The supermarket shelves were packed with all variants of cheap cheese, much of it pre grated.

Skimmed milk was available but didn't sell well.

4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

milk? are you a cow?

Mr Cat, PhilofCas and Philim like this.
  5. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Milk is ace.

Tigerjones and Big Tabs like this.
  6. mjw

mjw pfm Member

We eat quite a lot of yoghurt and cheese but rarely have milk in the house - just eating habits, no allergies.

7. narabdela

narabdela who?

Eat, drink, and be merry. Worrying about this sort of stuff is bad for your health.

Cheese, MikeMA, sean99 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Milk negative press?

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Cows don't produce milk in three fat levels, homogenized and filtered, so until they do the stuff is manufactured.

10. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

Why not

Bloss

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Yeah, they've got 4 udders, so why not one for each? And the fourth one could be for that cream cheese stuff that you get in a toothpaste tube.

gintonic likes this.
  12. gintonic

that's cos it tastes like sh*t.

I'd like to see a cow with colour coded udders. Each producing a different milk. You could have a cow with 6 udders, silver, red, blue green, brown (for chocolate milk), beige (for baileys)

Mr Cat likes this.
  13. gintonic

it'll be udderly fantastic

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

They could use the same colour coding you get on cartridge tags. So one would be for 'hot' milk.

gintonic likes this.
  15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

The Mrs has a lot of intolerances. She uses cashew, hazelnut and coconut milks and sheep's yoghurt. Been a lot better after dropping trad. dairy.

Andrew C! likes this.
  16. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

Just enjoy a balanced diet, with everything in moderation. Clearly if you have a genuine intolerance or allergy (not the same things at all) then avoid those foods.

Dozey likes this.
  17. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Stopped cow milk years ago.
    Delighted to find I lost the claggy feeling I often had in my throat.
    Colds clear up faster too

Rcook and Dan K like this.
  18. gintonic

using some whole milk to make some Paneer for dinner tonight

19. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Those in the know agree that most food choices happen because it makes cold milk taste even better.

20. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Some years ago lactose-free milk was often in the media, as a result I regulrly needed to go to the loo right after my morning cornies. So I stopped eating cornies.

Now that the lactose-free hype has somewhat cooled down, I resumed my cornies habit. Guess what, no problem at all.