1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Milk

Discussion in 'off topic' started by wacko, Feb 9, 2019.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Paneer's great. I used to make it. You must need a lot of vinegar to make it at home. I've made lactose reduced too, up at Arla Settle. That's less interesting.

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

juice of 1.5 lemons to 2l milk.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's interesting, never made it with lemons. We used spirit vinegar. So 2L milk ought to give you 200g cheese. It's a lot of messing about when you can buy the stuff, so hats off for enthusiasm.

4. gintonic

when you have spent as much time as I have in India, and eaten homemade there, I am afraid I have never found a brand in a UK supermarket that comes anywhere near.

Homemade is crumbly in texture, all the ones I've tried from shops (apart from one Indian brand whose name i forget) are hard and like rubber.

The recipe I use, is from the mother of someone I worked with in Delhi.

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I shall have to give it a whirl. I don't especially like the stuff so it will be a professional interest. If I just wanted some I live round the corner from Bradford. However a non rubbery variety does sound attractive.

gintonic likes this.
  6. gintonic

Funnily enough the recipe I was given, is the same as that Pat Chapman recommends in his book Curry Bible.

the result is a bit like a compressed cottage cheese.

I strain the hot curds into a muslin, lining a colander with a small plate on top, and weighted down with a saucepan full of water - until they are cold.

You get a disc of paneer.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Too much milk can have a negative effect on a part of the feet. Eventually you can lack toes.

Everything to do with cows' milk enjoyed in this household; full cream, of course. Whatever happened to delicious Jersey/Guernsey milk where the top third of the bottle was yellow? Used to down one of these for breakfast when on the road.

8. gintonic

now I know why I keep falling over

Rana likes this.
  9. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Me too. Four or five times, then I said to myself that there were many other great Indian recipes there to try.

The result either fell apart like sour milk, or it was even more rubbery than the one you find in supermarkets. I guess the secret lies in the strength you use when wringing out the cheese.

10. gintonic

never had either problem. briefly strain in the muslin using gravity, then weigh down with a plate topped by a saucepan of water for a few hours to cool.

yes I agree there are many grest Indian dishes, but paneer is used in some recipes I cook occasionally.

11. gintonic

peas paneer (matar paneer) - paneer not sour nor rubbery, just gently soft holding together nicely

[​IMG]2019-02-09_07-41-53 by uh_simon, on Flickr

served with chicken and spinach curry

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. venton

venton pfm Member

Full fat milk, butter, cheese, all good stuff.
    Sugar in large quantities however will kill you sooner rather than later.

narabdela likes this.
  13. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I love cheese and yoghurt, especially the Greek style. Milk is OK on breakfast or in porridge. As a kid I had an opt out from school milk, but I will drink a glass nowadays, especially if there is a prospect of much booze coming up....

As I read somewhere the other day:
    It is a little bit weird that humans would drink a milk designed by another species to grow calves.
    Humans are the only creature on Earth to drink any type of milk after weaning.

The Japanese think us Westerners 'smell' of dairy products.
    Mind you, a lot of them are missing the gene that would allow them to digest alcoholic drinks! So drinking milk before a 'session' might do them some good!

14. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I think that 75% of the world adult population are intolerant of cows' milk.

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Other animals drink milk if they can get it. However they haven't learnt to milk cows. Hedgehogs will all up milk oozing from a sleeping cow.

Milk does change your smell. So does meat, fish, spices, etc.

Fewer than 75% of adults are lactose intolerant.

16. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

milk is for children.

jtrade and blossomchris like this.
  17. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Milk (full fat) is my favourite drink. Have a glass every night.

18. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Human milk perhaps. Cows' milk is for calves.

jtrade likes this.
  19. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Some people see that differently.

[​IMG]

20. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Cheese, do you like cheese?