1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Milk

Discussion in 'off topic' started by wacko, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Groan...:D

2. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

...or if Haemochromatosis is denuding calcium from your bones...

3. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Google says 65% on average rising to 90% in Asian genotypes.

4. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

No, I don't. Mozzarella, Parmesan and some Pecorino are merely downable, but most other types make me flee, among them our local Gruyere or Appenzeller. Don't even start with Camembert or all those blue stinksters. Using 'cheese' as a moniker may be seen as an attempt to sublimate my aversion.

5. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Seems no-one here has read much about milk not being good for you.
    Good: I like cheese, butter, yoghurt and milk !

Mr Cat likes this.
  6. narabdela

narabdela who?

Oh I've read it alright, but it's just the usual tenuous health advice you get on the internet.

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

'int milk brilliant!

8. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Answering the OPs question. The fat particles in goat milk are smaller. Goat milk also has higher levels of short- and medium-chain fatty acids, rendering a faster and easier digestion process as well as producing quicker energy.Many people prefer goat milk for these reasons.

wacko likes this.
  9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I definitely prefer goat yoghurt, but not sure about goat milk.
    And the 'curd' I had once upon a time in Sri Lanka was fantastic: from buffalo milk I was told.

10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I'll never forget watching a segment from a Japanese game show on some daft TV clip show where a contestant was made to drink cows milk. They were so repulsed that the milk came straight back out through their tear ducts.
    Elevenses?

11. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

This 'gene' thing, is there really something about it ? Or aren't the differences rather based on habits (climate, religion, environment etc.) ?

Gene-wise, I would have thought that we were all built pretty much the same way.

12. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Yes there is. At least according to the programme on milk I watched recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

13. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I know two things about milk. One comes from a friend who's a rheumatologist and he's always going on about how people need to drink more of it, apparently osteoporosis is an increasingly common problem and there's some evidence that the more milk you consume, the less likely you are to develop it.

And the second is a recent discovery. Organic milk really does taste much better! (Cows' I mean) Now we have Yeo Valley or Coop own label organic -- they're the nicest tasting we've found.

narabdela likes this.
  14. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Vuk-dude you got a reputation to defend on the Trump thread. There’s a new kid on the block and he’s, like, totally rad!

15. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

I stopped drinking cow's milk last year, I found oat 'milk' the most palatable of the alternatives (none of them are cheap, almond has a too-strong almond taste, coconut doesn't appeal, soya is not good for you). I had a patch of psoriasis on my left hand, this has all but cleared up since (this was the only thing I changed), also less bunged up sinuses and do actually feel more energetic overall. So I must have a mild intolerance to dairy.

16. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Have you tried Hazelnut milk ? My son likes it the best, and he has tried them all.

Rcook likes this.
  17. Where did you work Steve, my first job after leaving school was as a Lab Technician for ACC Whitby for 2 years and then 5 or 6 years for Express Dairies in Northallerton.

Cheers BB

18. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

One of my twin daughters had some eczema, dairy intolerance as a baby. Switched to Soya milk and it cleared up. She has grown out of it now - but I remember always clearing the shelves at Tesco of Soya milk 18 years ago. It was rare stuff then! Funny how they started stocking more after a while - they must have noted our consumption!.

19. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

I haven't tbh, worth giving a go though, thanks

20. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Remembered a lady I knew had breast cancer. Nasty surprise.
    Surgeon who operated told her to cut out dairy.
    Surprised me