1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Funk

Discussion in 'music' started by mcai7et2, Sep 5, 2003.

1. mcai7et2

mcai7et2 pfm Member

After seeing the Chilis last month, I must have more music, and given that their back catalogue is pretty limited (so, we don't talk about the albums before Mothers Milk) is there anything else in a similar vein about?

Obviously they take heavy inspiration from the likes of James Brown and his contempories, but is anyone else doing that sort of thing now? Audioslave get close, but a lot of the aggression and drive of RATM was (necessarily) lost when they lost Zach andteamed up with Chris Cornell.

Thanks,

Ed

2. dozy

dozy Air Guitar Member

You could try the Quantic Soul Orchestra - updated 70's funk - or maybe John Scofield Uberjam? Don't come crying to me if you don't like them though, cos they are not like the Chillis.

3. Mekon

Mekon Anti-socialite

Yeah, I was gonna say Quantic Soul Orchestra too, but the Chilis thing threw me off. If you like Quantic S.O. (v. different to Quantic) check out The New Mastersounds, Breakestra, Yesterday's New Quintet, Sugarman 3, Sharon Jones....

4. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

Fishbone, back in the day...
    Or how about WAR - a great band from the early 70s.
    Another, even greater band is the Isley Bothers in their late 60s / early 70s incarnation.
    Ooops. Not modern, but who cares, it's great stuff.