1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

monday morning feeling

Discussion in 'off topic' started by graystoke4, May 27, 2019.

1. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

7 course taster menu with wine with each course, plus a negroni, a g& T and a pint of IPA on Sunday evening for my 47th birthday. Absolutely fine yesterday morning and embarked on entertaining a 2 year old, rendering a fireplace and tidying the garden with no ill effects. You’re all lightweights. :)

2. molee

molee pfm Member

Unlikely. The technology was invented by the Romans. It's nothing new and wine won't keep a year without it.

Whether it's new or not is neither here nor there and yes, if your equipment is clean it is perfectly feasible to keep wine untainted for several years. I know because I, and several people I know, do so and have done so for several decades (even the Romans were capable of doing it). It is even possible to buy commercially produced 'sulphite free wine' over a year old.
    As someone in the industry, you will know that as you scale up production, indeed lose oversight over all stages of production then quality control becomes far more difficult and the degree of cleanliness required for winemaking makes that quality control over all those stages commensurately more expensive. Cheaper then to adulterate the wine with sulphites to prevent tainting especially if you need to send thousands of litres, thousands of kilometres around the world, in bulk (most bottling is done in the country of consumption), via third party transporters to fourth party packers/bottlers in the hope that something vaguely palatable will emerge from the bottle in due course.
    Adulterating foodstuffs to mask/prevent tainting and extend shelf-life? It's been around since the Romans.

Except domestos is chlorine, not sulphur.

So, as I said, 'a bit like'. If I had said 'exactly the same as' then you would have had a point-If a trite one. The salient point here, I would like to think, is that the human digestive system (on the whole) is better off without large amounts of chlorine or sulphur compounds. How large is large? I don't know and if one looks at the side of a bottle of wine (or beer) you wont find out as the ingredients and their weights are not listed. Curious eh.

You don't need sulphites in distilled liquor, hence why your Loire valley old soaks could brew their moonshine without.

Yeah, I know.

3. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

A big cheer to all the booooozeeerss and a special hug to dwezzel 's mum 95 and still gorgeous, day off today was on the juice for 17 hours yesterday goo good job its my day off but friends are here and we are drinking already will stop after a long lunch as i have to be fit for duty tomoz as im operating on a 4 year old girl will a spinal deformity, she will be fine its bread and butter to me ,cheers A

naimplayer likes this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Dear God, you're a surgeon?

I know med students have a reputation for burning the candle at both ends, but I kinda assumed they usually grow out of it. You also hear about alcohol abuse in the medical profession, and overstressed medics relying on booze to unwind, but confronted with the reality of it is a bit of a shock. I hope your account here is an exceptional (holiday) weekend, and not the norm.

Edit: maybe I'm overreacting to the OP's posting style, but the 'off my face' writing style does tend to hit a raw nerve with me.

matt j and Weekender like this.
  5. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I presume that's a windup.
    "Tomoz" :rolleyes:

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  6. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Wine was shared!

The weekend was unusual in that one of our daughters is a licensed victualler and arrives with all sorts of tasty treats.

Bottle of Grange for my birthday was rather special.

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Make sure you put on clean underwear before you do.

8. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

You are more than welcome to entertain me by tidying my garden, anytime.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, it's precisely here or there because it allows us to carry out a 2000 year toxicity risk assessment. Sulphites at a few ppm plays a known cumulative addictive liver toxin at 12%, and only one is a health concern?

Some wines. Not all.

Oh that it were so simple.

So has coming up with a overly simplistic explanation to a complex situation.

Not curious at all. They are exempt, though sulphites do have to be declared if used. As I said earlier, the salient point for me is that you have ethanol, a known toxin, at 12% and we're suggesting that the sulphites at a few ppm are the harmful part? That really is wishful thinking.

10. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

A few sulphites in your wine will make a negligible difference to sulphur intake; just think about those aromatic sulphur compounds that exit.

11. molee

molee pfm Member

First it was 'wine', now it's 'some wines'. Come on.

The fact that it's not simple (and thus expensive) was the point I was making.

How do you know (and more to the point we all know) it's only 'a few' ppm if there is no obligation on the part of the producer to divulge. I don't think it is overly cynical to wonder why there might be an exemption and to what extent it might be abused for commercial gain. The alcoholic beverage industry has hardly showered itself in glory in its attempts to promote its products/maximise profits- alcopops anyone?

I referred to sulphites as a 'silent killer' as in unacknowledged to the same extent as the damage done by various alcohols, (every other week sees a new 'alcohol good, bad, indifferent to your health' report) thanks for misrepresenting my original comment. As for being simplistic, overly or otherwise, this is a hifi not a trade forum -get over yourself.

12. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Never had my doctor warn me off wine because sulphites are a "silent killer". Probably because they are not.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

How do I know it's only a few ppm? Because it's in the regs. Oh, sorry, this is a hifi forum so I should "get over myself" . I will, you can carry on spouting nonsense about a subject that you don't understand. Carry on. It's a hifi forum, after all.

14. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Many, many moons ago, I used to go drinking in the social club attached to the local hospital and, f*** my tall hat, could the nurses and doctors drink. I can remember a doctor walking up to the bar one evening and the steward asking him if he wanted "the usual". His answer was something along the lines of "No. Better make it a vodka, I'm on call and I don't want them to be able to smell it on my breath." o_O

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  15. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

A doctor friend once told me that a fair definition of alcoholism was ‘someone who drank more than their doctor’

16. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Just wait until you are North of 60!

foxwelljsly likes this.
  17. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

Doctors drink because they know how awful getting old can be.

18. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I don't know about a 'silent killer' but alcoholic drinks heavy in sulphites can certainly make one a bit ruddy and short of breath when mixed with large quantities of liberty caps (magic mushrooms).

19. datay

datay pfm Member

Think he said he was a postie elsewhere.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  20. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Dipso-confabulator?