1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitor Audio speakers - history websites?

Discussion in 'audio' started by ex brickie, Jul 19, 2008.

1. cashkey

cashkey Member

2. cashkey

cashkey Member

original MA9 non-ported crossover.

[​IMG]

3. cashkey

cashkey Member

ported MA9 crossover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cashkey

cashkey Member

MA9 Gold MKII crossover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cashkey

cashkey Member

6. cashkey

cashkey Member

4th pair... just acquired today.... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cashkey

cashkey Member

anyone willing to ship more MA 9 speakers to singapore?

8. SimonB

SimonB pfm Member

I can understand possibly wanting a spare, but what on earth are you going to do with 4 pairs of the same speaker?

- Simon

9. BlueYeti

BlueYeti pfm Member

For... An evenly voiced 5.1 set up perhaps ? Spare drivers / tweeters maybe ? Obsessive compulsive tendencies perchance ? Can never have enough of a good thing :)

PS. Some great old MA boxes in the thread ;-)

10. cashkey

cashkey Member

i am gonna replace my wharfedales with the monitor's.
    currently, my set up is a 9.1 system. :)

11. cashkey

cashkey Member

12. cashkey

cashkey Member

thats my current set up now.

13. Dariusz

Dariusz New Member

Hi guys I'm happy that I founded this topic about MA.
    I need your help I have a chance to buy Monitor audio 14 gold mk2 or MA monitor 3 gold the MA3 looks very similar the tweeter is located to the middle, what is the difference between both is anybody know something? Thanks Dariusz

14. Paul AJ

Paul AJ New Member

i've just come on the Forum as a new member.. & i'm looking to talk with people about HIFI systems.. not in the 6 number price range but what the normal person can afford.. i already have my system but would like to talk about your systems & what you think.. paul aj

15. SimonB

SimonB pfm Member

Hello Paul,
    Welcome.
    However you appear to have just responded to a very old conversation. Try posting a Hello message in the Audio section.
    There are all kinds of people here with all kinds of systems although 2nd hand and Naim (older stuff) are strong topics.

Regards

Simon

16. matthew

matthew New Member

Reviving an old thread here, but does anyone know the cap values for the monitor 9s? (I seem to have no markings on mine!)

17. SimonB

SimonB pfm Member

Hello Matthew,
    I have seen various different versions of the Monitor 9's - with ports and without. So likely there are differences in Crossover. It would help if you could take some pictures of the Crossover and say if your speakers have ports - even a serial number might help. I cannot help more as I have not got a pair of these (yet).

Regards

Simon

18. matthew

matthew New Member

Hi Simon, thanks for that. They're closed box and I just had a piece of luck with them: pulled the caps out (they were secured with vast amounts of glue) and they were printed '3.3µF' on the backsides - had some polypropylenes at that value and I swapped them, and they're now sounding great! (airier, perhaps slightly lighter in balance, but certainly less 'degraded' and a little more informative). So worthwhile.

19. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Glad to hear that your Monitor 9 are sounding better, @matthew.

Just out of curiosity, do your tweeters look exactly like the example pictured below?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  20. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

Just in case it's not mentioned before, the MA7 used EMI drivers, both the 6 1/2" bass unit and the dome tweeter.