1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitor Audio speakers - history websites?

Discussion in 'audio' started by ex brickie, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

I believe so, quite a nice unit, so was the 6 1/2" bass unit.

3. SimonB

SimonB pfm Member

That's the Standard 25 mm Metal dome that's found in the R852, R952 and Monitor 9 and 14. It was also used in the Musical Fidelity MC-4 (MK1 ), Although possibly the R852 and R952 face plates may differ in material used - Metal in the R series...Is it plastic in the Monitor series?

Simon

4. Craig B

Thanks for sharing Simon.

l've only encountered the same glass fibre reinforced plastic face plates, same as on the MF ones.

One notable distinction between these MA tweeters and the MF MC-2 Mk1 and MC-4 Mk1 ones is that the latter were drilled through the centre pole piece with a rear wave damping chamber affixed behind the magnet.
    MF's OEM tweeter model designation is quite a bit more telling than MA's...
    25TAFC/G-MF
    25mm, Tweeter, Aluminium, Ferro-fluid, Chamber, Grille, MF OEM​

5. cpg

cpg pfm Member

I own 2 pairs of MF MC2 speakers (they sit in the loft, must get round to selling them) and the tweeters are different on the early and later models.
    The early models, designed I believe by Martin Collums (hence the MC), used Elac(?) metal dome tweeters. The later models used the SEAS metal dome 25TAFC/G-MF tweeter.
    It would be interesting to know if Martin Collums had anything to do with the later version. I prefered the sound of the originals.

6. Craig B

Yes, the Elac tweeters were easy to spot; no MF branding on the faceplate, and the 4 faceplate mounting screws positioned much closer to the dome.

If Google images are anything to go by, there appears to have been a lot more MC-2 and MC-4 with the Seas unit. I do recall the early reviews mentioning Elac ones, though.

Of course, then there is the other MC2, with its two large forward facing ports;
    I'd be very disappointed to hear that Martin Colloms had so much as touched these with a barge pole...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  7. SimonB

SimonB pfm Member

Well that got me thinking, so I found a screw driver.. Here's the Tweeter on my Monitor Audio R852/MD speakers. Two main findings :-
    1. Face Plate - Feels like textured metal when in place - but isn't it is a ceramic type dense plastic - so like you said "glass fibre reinforced plastic".
    2. The rear of the tweeter - yes has a extra chamber - didn't appear to be removable.

Took a photo...sorry it's a bit fuzzy needed 3 hands...

8. Craig B

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Simon (although your photo didn't appear).

Does your tweeter appear to be just like this one (perhaps with a different label)?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  9. Craig B

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  10. SimonB

SimonB pfm Member

Yes, sorry about the photo.. got involved trying to find a free hosting service... Any way yes it's just like the above. Same face plate, same label & Text (except I have no serial number), even the leads are the same colour.

Simon

11. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

12. Craig B

Perhaps the designer choose a ferrite core to better reduce microphony which might modulate the inductance. It is in series with the bass/mid, so any inherent HF loss from an iron core should be irrelevant, welcome even.

Durmbo likes this.