1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

More Heybrook HB3 nonsense.

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by awkwardbydesign, Apr 30, 2018.

1. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I've already mentioned the midrange refoams, but there is more! As they are traditionally preferred with close to the back wall placing, and I have no available back wall, I decided to make a pair. If I use them in the living room they will have to sit in front of the main speakers, which are far too heavy and complicated to move.
    So I bought a sheet of 18mm MDF, had it split into 4, screwed pairs together with piano hinges (which I already had), cut handle holes and there you are. I will get 8 little rubber feet, and I'm thinking of wallpapering them to make them less boring, but functionally they are done. They can be used as a flat back wall or angled to make a corner.
    I wonder if it will work?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Folded shut.
    [​IMG]

But there's more! :D
    They needed stands, so a pair of identical glass topped corner TV stands (£7.98 for 2),
    [​IMG]
    a pair of HB3 sized MDF top plates, threaded M8 rod, blackboard paint and 8 adjustable spiked feet (all of which I had), and voila! Two stands. I can use more of the steel tubes to make them taller if I need, but I'll see how they go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Nice stands.

IIUIC, near wall placement is about room boundary affects; the maths resulting in +3dB gain per each equi-distance boundary where direct and reflected sound waves combine in phase. Putting up free standing panels isn't going to change the room boundaries. I've been to a few trade shows in large open spaces where exhibitors have tried similar on a larger scale. It can work on a 'perception of a domestic space' level, but never seems to do much by way of optimizing acoustics for loudspeakers.

Can you get the Heybrooks close to side walls? They wouldn't necessarily have to be hard up to the walls; just close enough that the acoustic centers of the bass drivers are roughly the same distance as they would have been from a back wall (i.e. allowing for ample toe in).

P.S. Re the trade shows, I've a vague memory of Linn Products traveling about with a portable cabin. Linn 'Shak', was it?

RJHarker likes this.
  3. RJHarker

RJHarker pfm Member

I seem to remember the designer of the speakers Peter C having a crossover design for not near wall placement that I found when googling. Any speaker designers chime in please!

4. awkwardbydesign

Ah, that would be useful.

5. awkwardbydesign

The side walls are even further away, as the speakers are on the long wall.
    [​IMG]

RJHarker likes this.
  6. RJHarker

RJHarker pfm Member

Jaw on the floor, stunning!

*btw thats cats face is hilarious, keep it up

7. awkwardbydesign

He has had lots of teeth removed, so has a snaggle faced look. Doesn't stop him eating though!

8. RJHarker

RJHarker pfm Member

must've been a hell of hunter, live a great life old chap.

9. GWM

GWM Lost in the 70's

Are those mundorf AMT's in place of the original domes, how do they sound.

10. awkwardbydesign

I haven't had time to get the mic out, measure, fiddle, measure some more, etc. But I can hear the potential, the response seems very smooth, without the usual soft dome effects that I seem to be sensitive to. I have spent weeks and weeks building a downstairs toilet for my wife. Which then necessitates a new door and frame, which I have also had to make!
    [​IMG]

11. GWM

GWM Lost in the 70's

Interested how you get on with them, I have a similar Troels design and have a love hate relationship with the scan tweeter ,so been looking at the AMTs as well.

12. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

It's very unlikely to be a problem with the tweeter (unless faulty). What design do you have?

13. GWM

GWM Lost in the 70's

It's not a fault I just find it leans to the side of harsh,its a version of the Ellam flex 6600 with a 12" bass.
    I previously used the SEAS millennium in a different design and found that to be a lot better, the 6600 for me tends to emphasise sibilance and harshness in recordings.
    Maybe it's more accurate but that's irrelevant I just don't always like the way it presents.I have done some mods to the crossover which has improved it, but still not to my taste.

14. awkwardbydesign

I have done no end of mods to the crossover on mine and the tweeter just doesn't suit my ears. I have a particular sensitivity in the 6-8kHz region (measured, before you ask) and many domes cause me problems, where ribbons, planars and 'statics don't. I know there can be integration problems with those, but still. The T25CF003 isn't a great tweeter, just good for the price.
    Troels gave me a crossover design for the Fountek ribbon, which may well adapt for the AMT, but at the moment it just has a plain 2nd order in there, to get it running.

15. GWM

GWM Lost in the 70's

Sounds like we may have the same problem though I have not identified it with measurements.
    Interested to hear how the AMT works out they seem to have a strong following over on DIY audio.

16. awkwardbydesign

I find it curious how people make definitive statements about how something sounds like this, or that, when we all have different hearing and even audio priorities. PRaT is essential to some, while for me depth and soundstage are far more important. It will be interesting to hear how the HB3s fare, as I recall them being better on speed than depth. We shall see.
    BTW, I have just decided to sell the SEAS T25C003 tweeters and the SEAS ER18RNX mid/bass drivers as I want to buy an old Meridian DAC to go with my 200 transport. They will be going in the classifieds in the next day or so. I'd better start praising them now! :D

RJHarker likes this.
  17. awkwardbydesign

Grilles made now. Some 12mm MDF, a router, double sided tape, some polyester jersey, Velcro tabs, and Bob's your uncle. Unless I fiddle with the crossovers, they must be finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. RJHarker

RJHarker pfm Member

Look great! Sustainable, re-using 30+ year components and could pass as modern with those chrome stands

19. awkwardbydesign

At my age, 30+ years old IS modern! My pre-amp uses 90 year old valves.

20. RJHarker

RJHarker pfm Member

Valves are coming back y'know? Nano sized, would love to see what kind of audio applications could be used for.