1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I thought the same thing. It was a beauty. I can only surmise that it was within a Bass Nursery Area so keeping it would be prohibited.

2. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

My tomato is wandering around Rome visiting the same places my mother did around 90 years ago and going to my families flat and sitting in the courtyard where I first played 50 odd years ago.

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Possibly yes but I am recent listener, I could do with less Peter Beardsley more more Warhammer & The Burnley Way, the latter is genius

4. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Some episode this evening. The enactment of the triple bypass in the pub was quite something. Beautiful scenery.

"Cheese storm."

Lovely.

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

What are trapped peas?

6. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Tinned peas.

Weekender likes this.
  7. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Last time I fished would be on the Trent about 1962.. so I really don't know much..

The prog however is perfect, and reminds me very much of a similarly hilarious yet gentle juxtaposition of the banal and the profound in 'Detectorists'.

I'm afraid some of the perfectionist points raised here highight all that can be wrong on 'enthusiast' forums. be they audio, cars or whatever. ...

It's not so much the hobby.. as the contemplation.. which matters.

Woodface and Big Tabs like this.
  8. steve watkins

steve watkins pfm Member

Not wishing to be confrontational in any way.
    It's not fiction Mull, it is real albeit for the telly but if you read John Bailey's books they are written in much the same romantic way that the series is presented.
    I get the impression that Bob is not fully engaged and rapidly losing interest, in part because he is not being instructed, challenged or catching anything much.
    There are many other reasons that I can see. I'm not sure Bob is really cut out for it but also I'm not sure he is being given much of a chance and is consequently missing out on most of what the sport has to offer. I see very little of what is pertinent to the day and a lot of going through the motions. They are not perfectionist points but basic instructional and educational points that allow one to engage, think about, question, persevere and enjoy solving the problems faced, leaving a longer lasting sense of achievement at how it was done and something to store in the mind for next time.
    The Sea Trout episode, side by side in the boat, gave glimpses of being engaged
    Every fishing day is different for many reasons, that is part of the challenge and it has to matter. If it doesn't, like anything, unless you have to or are forced do it, boredom soon sets in and you give up.
    I am genuinely happy that many people enjoy the programme but I feel it could be so much better and show so much more of what the sport offers without losing anything of the camaraderie and shared experience of the friendship.
    For me it is neither fish nor fowl. I hope there is more but it would be nice to see it develop.

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I think The Detectorists is an all time classic. Loved it

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I think you have missed the whole point. It is not really about fishing at all, just a convenient prop for two blokes to shoot the breeze & talk about, often, quite personal feelings. This is how blokes are, we only really open up under the disguise of participating in a hobby. I have had very profound chats with friends while out cycling which would never happen under normal circumstances.

Big Tabs likes this.
  11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

That's Bob all over. It's not going to morph into Bob becoming a fishing enthusiast.
    He is funny though, and does engage with the serious elements.

Big Tabs and Woodface like this.
  12. steve watkins

steve watkins pfm Member

Thank you, how patronising. I would suggest you do not understand angling at all.
    Your stereotype of how "blokes are" well...…….. but if it works for you, all is good. Me, for better or worse I have a different perspective.
    I think it is you who is missing the point but I will leave it at that.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

It is not in any way, shape or form an instructional film about fishing.
    It is a wistful comedy show that uses fishing as a vehicle to allow two old farts to muse on life.
    To think it should be anything else completely misses the point of Hardacre and Mortimer’s comedy.
    I am glad it makes no attempt to take fishing seriously, it would put me off for one.

Spike and SteveS1 like this.
  14. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

My intention wasn't to patronise but you are correct that I don't understand angling. I don't need to I order to enjoy the show, perhaps we engage with it on different levels. I actually quite enjoy fishing programs without ever taking it up as hobby. I really enjoy listening to music even though I cannot play an instrument. There are many analogies I could use.

Big Tabs likes this.
  15. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

I suspect if every episode was float fishing in still water Bob would enjoy it more, trotting and fly fishing is effort.

16. Big Tabs

"It's all about the bass..."

:rolleyes:

17. Big Tabs

Spot on, apart from the name.

18. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

It's hugely enjoyable the way it is. But if only Bob would learn to hold the rod properly...