1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Most played with game/toy as a child.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by kennyh, Feb 11, 2019.

1. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Tin can Alley? good call!!

2. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Always wanted a Tin Can Alley, but never got one :(

3. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  4. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Atari 2600 by a mile. Can't believe I am the first with that one.

5. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Yes I had that I think. And a wind up plastic helicopter which I can remember loosing pretty much everywhere. It never closed down Gatwick though...

fatmarley likes this.
  6. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I still have this set.

7. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

Huge meccano set with an electric motor. Teach yourself engineering! Endless model aircraft, the airfix 1/24 scale hurricane and a matchbox 1/48 Douglass Dauntless stand out in my memory.
    Haven't looked at a model kit since I was 15 (girls, bass guitar, under age drinking....) but find myself increasingly thinking about the airfix 1/24 mosquito. If I finished it, where the hell would I put it though?

8. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

My earliest memory is LEGO, and so is my most recent. What a fabulous, timeless toy.

9. venton

venton pfm Member

BSA Bantam which farmer kindly let me ride around his 300 acre farm.
    And it makes me shudder now, but I used to love chemistry and made endless rockets, fireworks and bangers from easily bought ingredients. Very lucky to be in one bit looking back. One invention was a toy rocket boat. This was a bit of bent copper tube hammered into a plank of wood. Filled with a mixture and then lit. When burning it was placed tube down in water and it propelled itself along. Absolutely ridiculously dangerous, of course my parents had no idea.

Rob998, MikeMA and kennyh like this.
  10. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Meccano, chemistry set, electrical set and train set indoors, air rifle, knife and fishing rod outdoors.

Not sure if this counts but was also a keen amateur rocket, bomb and firearm maker in my early teens.

I think you could get away with much more dangerous stuff in those days. Would probably get you locked up now, or put on a deradicalisation programme!

11. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Another cool one was Mattel’s Vertibird helicopter, especially the original one that wasn’t later dumbed down-or made “safer”. Had a lot of fun with that!

12. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I once took a radio controlled grand prix black john player racing car to school - I loved it...

in later years I had a big trak too...

and talking of taking toys into school - I started a craze of making elastic band balls and had one the size of a mini football, but after a mate put his through his living room window they got banned at school (tho, only a few of us had them, as my uncle was a postman who introduced me to this with his healthy collection of elastic bands), and mine of under my desk when it got confiscated :(

another mate had that 'Blip' electronic game and I wanted to buy one with my birthday money, my uncle took me down to buy it when I saw a airfix type lifesize magnum / 45 gun...it was heavy as it had lead weights in the handle...no one seemed overly bothered when I took it into junior school...

kennyh likes this.
  13. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Now I'm jealous of that one!!

Mr Cat likes this.
  14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I've still got my stamp collection I got from my granddad when I was around 10...3-400 and some from around 1920 iirc... tho, not of them were damaged as he put little bits of sticky tape on the back on them :(

15. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Another great game, this one was given to me by an older cousin who'd "grown out of toys".

Escalado, it amazed me seeing those cast horses bombing up the track.

I then adapted it, I took the fences out of it and used it to train my subbuteo players, I'd make them do 6 furlongs each the night before a match:D

16. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yes, I got mine around 73/74...too young to appreciate it really...

fatmarley likes this.
  17. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

my dad would buy me some nice presents...this one had rubber tyres - but the control was very simple tho...only had 1 button(?) and that would make the car go either left or right..

kennyh likes this.
  18. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

19. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

No disrespect, but I don’t think I’m as old as you!!

Mr Cat likes this.
  20. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

My first computer was an Atari 1040 STe and I loved it but I was still an outdoors type person.