1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorhomes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richgilb, Feb 14, 2020.

1. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

You got a motorhome for £750 for a month?

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Just get a tent that will easy bungee onto the back of a motorbike.

3. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Tents are for peasants.

gintonic likes this.
  4. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Having been lucky enough to do both with my wife, I would suggest the modern tent route with foam beds, gas cooking area and comfortable recliners.

The main abvantage is having a normal car to explore an area during the daytime - enabling one to reach more remote destinations or to walk more interesting paths.

Roof rack for the bike. Job done.

divedeepdog likes this.
  5. Arkless Electronics

Motorhomes are for w@nkers so there you go.

6. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

I converted my own van :cool:

Colin Barron and vuk like this.
  7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Motor bikes are for w@nkers......

Suffolk Tony and AudioAl like this.
  8. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

:D

9. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Very nice, but £64k ?

blossomchris likes this.
  10. DM3

DM3 Member

I have hired one a couple of times and they can be fun. I wouldn't worry about the loos, you get used to them very quickly and modern motorhomes have decent bathrooms, kitchens, central heating etc, so it is hardly roughing it.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy one unless you are planning on using it for at least 6-8 weeks each year, otherwise the cost is difficult to justify, just use hotels instead.

I would definitely hire one before buying, to see if the lifestyle works for you.

11. Arkless Electronics

I would never have guessed you had a garage full of motorbikes...
    [​IMG]

12. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Not cheap, but the decent ones aren’t. It’s a bit of a mind bender and I went round the houses with it saying ‘HOW MUCH!!??’ more times than I can remember, but if you buy a California, the total cost of ownership is incredibly low. I swapped for a new one last year with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty (important with all the kit on them) only because my previous one dropped less than 3% in 2 years from new.

Gaycha likes this.
  13. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Porsches are for cvnts

14. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

IIRC you had one?

I have had two bikes, last time I rode was in 1988, I was knocked off my CB750, by a northern ar5e which wrecked my right leg. Whilst I was in traction recovering in hospital, my 400/4 chop was lifted.

I still maintain the bikes are for w@nkers. I have seen more stupidity from bike riders over the few years than any other road users. Some of the fools on the roads in the far north or Scotland have a death wish....

15. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

Motorhomes great if you're touring around. SWMBO's idea of camping's a three-star hotel but even she enjoyed our jaunt around Australia in a Merc. camper. France is good for campers too, lots of places to stay on the outskirts of towns & villages. Bit of a pain if you want to travel out from a base & have to keep putting everything away. A caravan's a better bet for this type of use, but you need a big tug to haul around the latest models, they're heavy b*ggers but have all mod. cons.

After our Aus adventure we bought a caravan off my ex & her hubby, which was good fun for a bit & we met some lovely folks as we toured around. The weather was always cr*p though, even when we went to the south of France. No fun with two muddy dogs.

16. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I always feel sorry for people who have to put up with neighbours who have bloody caravans or motorhomes on the drive.

17. jimpey

jimpey pfm Member

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

As someone who got dragged around on regular touring caravan holidays as a youth, and in a decent van at that, I'd say don't inflict such savagery on your kids Rich.

tiggers likes this.
  19. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

A dear friend bought one just like that and lives in it. He is allowed to park it on the drive whilst he rents out his house. The income from the house, allied to his state pension, allows him to have a little home studio in there and enough income for life's essentials (much of which he seems to smoke).

eternumviti likes this.
  20. Konteebos

Konteebos Traitor Re-joiner

I hired one a couple of years ago, they are OK if you like to take a dump in a cupboard and sleep in a drawer!...

Actually, it was reasonably comfortable, but there are a number of disadvantages:
    1. They are pretty slow and difficult to park, it won't fit under height restrictors for things like supermarkets.
    2. Once you do get up to speed on a motorway there is a load of noise from the flimsy bodywork shaking and vibrating.
    3. When you arrive at your destination you will need another form of transport for local runs.
    4. The one we hired dumped all of the stored water when the temperature outside went below 4degC. This happened every night we had it (in May) so we couldn't use the shower.

I wouldn't bother with one again.