1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Muliple casualties in Christchurch mosque attack

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Mar 15, 2019.

1. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

2. avole

3. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

4. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

I am not sure about live tickers for such events.

Mr Cat likes this.
  5. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

It was only a matter of time before this type of incident happened here, I guess.

6. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Brisbane 7 news has part of the guys live streamed feed up to the point of the first gunshot.

7. avole

On pfm or on the news? I’d imagine the police were keen to have the updates, it would be vital to keep people informed without causing panic - and to put pressure on the attackers. This was a major terrorist attack, after all.

I note that the NZ tv has refused to show the video taken by one of the killers, and I understand they have also refused to publish the organisation’s manifesto. Not sure if that’s still so, I’d only got up to make a call to Oz.

8. avole

My heart and sympathy goes out to all families of victms, and I’m sure everybody here feels the same.

Still unbelievable.

suzywong and Mr Cat like this.
  9. Philim

Philim pfm Member

40 killed. Tossers.

10. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Awful. I don't have many words, but the ones I do have are not suitable for posting here.

11. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I’ll be straight. With so many extreme right wingers here in Britain, and with a number of attacks having been carried out by lone-wolf Islamic extremists against random, innocent people, I’m surprised such an attack hasn’t happened here.

Awful for New Zealand, not looking nice for Australia. Let’s hope people keep cool.

Ragaman and Bart like this.
  12. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Anywhere.

The moment of the attack was particularly badly chosen, now things were calming down a little (at least in the western world). If this is not a provocation, what is.

Indeed, a country which doesn't really cause much turmoil.

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I think the NZ and Aus natives might have something to say about them being "white countries"

Cheese likes this.
  14. avole

This strikes me as a straight anti-muslim terrorist attack. Anyway, probably best not to discuss this here as yet.

15. wacko

wacko pfm Member

It is intended to provoke a reaction from Muslims. That is why it was filmed and live streamed. To show that Muslims are the enemy no matter where they are.
    One of the gunman has a detailed racist 'manifesto'. Similarities to the Anders Breivik massacre.
    People like Trump bear some responsibility for it. And Dubya before him.

ff1d1l likes this.
  16. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

They have their own - and more reliable - means of communication. Live tickers are just about money, earned in a particularly dirty way in this case.

17. Gaycha

Gaycha Well-Known Member

Awful news. My eldest daughter is currently in Christchurch back-packing with friends on a year out. Hard to know at this point whether to advise her to get out of the city/country. -or stay put. They are OK but frightened of reprisals etc.

The choice of Christchurch obviously has some poignancy for the psychopaths responsible for the tragedy. Decidedly unchristian.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just catching up on this now. I’ve got family out in NZ, though they’ve recently moved quite some distance away from Christchurch. I’m very surprised to see this level of right-wing terrorism in NZ, though sadly I expect to see it it here in the UK at some point. We seem to be actively courting this shite by allowing public ‘yellow vest’ marches, countless bigoted nationalist internet memes etc etc. The whole thing needs stamping on globally IMO. Utterly vile.

19. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

20. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Sad for the dead, injured and their family and friends. Depressed this can happen anywhere.