1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Muliple casualties in Christchurch mosque attack

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Mar 15, 2019.

1. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Just dreadful. Given the hurt and pain still evident in those who were affected by Bloody Sunday you realise something of the suffering another innocent group of people will endure.

2. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

At least the NZ PM immediately called this out as terrorism, some of the extremists in the UK need this label.

jackbarron likes this.
  3. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

I thought her short speech was outstanding. Sincere, simple and angry, a difficult mix.

4. mondie

mondie pfm Member

These attacks are always deeply shocking when they happen but in the South Island of New Zealand makes it even harder to fathom. God knows Christchurch has had enough tragedy already in the last ten years with two devastating earthquakes. It is a lovely sleepy place and this will really be a massive shock to the city as it is the country.

5. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Terrible loss of innocent lives, truly evil perpetrators. Thankfully my mate and his family who live there are safe.

6. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

49 dead, and quite a few in critical condition.

A Muslim analyst on CNN just labeled the gunman “White ISIS”, and went into a fair amount of detail about white supremecist “ideology”. Apparently, it is wealthy Jews like George Soros who funding the migration of Muslims and other people of color into the white homelands. People like this gunman think they are simply fighting back, protecting their race, blah, blah, blah. What sick, twisted scum they are.

TheDecameron likes this.
  7. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I fear now the technology is readily available and cheap, that the live streaming of these things is going to become the norm. Which doesn't bode well.

8. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I know a couple whose sons live in Christchurch. A few hours ago they told people via Facebook that a son's mate had been shot during the massacre.

The couple are currently in Norway. They were traveling on sledges pulled by reindeer, and had seen the Northern Lights, when the news came through from New Zealand.

It's a small, sometimes beautiful, but often frightening world.

Jack

9. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

A good article https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...erwer-madison-grant-white-nationalism/583258/

Published before the attack in New Zealand, but highly relevant.

"In the corridors of American power, Grant’s legacy is evident. Jeff Sessions heartily praised the 1924 immigration law during an interview with Steve Bannon, Trump’s former campaign chief. Bannon regularly invokes what has become a cult text among white nationalists, the 1973 dystopian French novel The Camp of the Saints, in which the “white world” is annihilated by mass immigration. Stephen Miller, a former Senate aide to Sessions and now among the president’s top policy advisers, spent years warning from his perch in Sessions’s office that immigration from Muslim countries was a greater threat than immigration from European countries. The president’s stated preference for Scandinavian immigrants over those from Latin America or Africa, and his expressed disdain for the Fourteenth Amendment’s guarantee of birthright citizenship, are Grantism paraphrased."

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

“White ISIS”- that’s the perfect description. They require the same remedy.

11. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

I did too, especially the emphasis on migrants making their homes in NZ and being “one of us”. Could you imagine a UK politician saying that?

Huge sympathy for the victims, their families and friends.

Vinniemac and jackbarron like this.
  12. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Evidence??

13. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Usually stamped on quite quickly here in the UK from anti-terrorism units, hence the lack of right wing terrorism to hit this kind of level, let's hope it stays that way.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...against-uk-rightwing-extremists-police-action

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  14. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

15. emrei

emrei pfm Member

I happend to watch full footage, it is like a first person shooter game, but even in the games you don't shoot and shoot people lying on the ground. He made shure that all the injured man are dead. He goes to his car and gets another rifle with a scope shooting at escaping people at distance and the saddest scene that one woman shoot was crying ' help help' while lying on the side walk and he goes in cold blood walking and executes her with 2 shots in the head, goes into his car and drives to other mosque quite happy.....
    it is crazy. I hope they don't label him as ' unstable', ' lone wolf ', this is white ISIS, there with a mission to clean all with the wrong color or religion.

16. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Of what exactly? There is zero evidence that white supremacist ideology is based on fact. There’s a ton of evidence that Soros and other wealthy Jews are seen by white supremacists as evil masterminds. Feel free to google, but I don’t think Tony (or anyone else) would appreciate posting links to any of their disgusting web sites.

17. poppop

poppop pfm Member

Don't "do" social media, but news programmes are reporting that during the live feed there were 100's(?) watching clapping and cheering?! Is that true? If so, I find that almost more disturbing than the lunatic carrying out the attack. What a shit world.

Steve

ian r likes this.
  18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed! Not here please.

PS I’m rather disapointed to see the UK media blaming technology, social media etc for this. That is just a tool IMHO. The issue needs to be dealt with by attacking fascism directly. Meet the yellow vested scum with water cannons and the army if need be, just get it off the streets, same with Britain First, EDL etc, even UKIP now Batton is in charge and directly pandering to racists and white supremacists. Just ban it all as the terrorism it is and prosecute the scum that spread it using the same legislation we would deal with Islamist hate preachers. It is *exactly* the same shit and needs a consistent zero tolerance approach across all races and creeds.

Jonboi and Nick_G like this.
  19. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Exactly. The far right is just the other side of the ISIS coin and should be treated as such.

Jonboi and martin clark like this.
  20. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

An utterly shocking act of depravity. Jacinda Ardern called it well: it is terrorism.

I've various observations about how parts of the media have used aspects of this event; how social media canbe, no, is effectively weaponised in the face of apparent indifference by its various hosts; how the written response by one certain Australian Senator is truly gob-smacking in its underhand apologetics.

But most of all, and first & foremost - I'm distressed for the people of New Zealand. O tempora, o mores.