1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Muliple casualties in Christchurch mosque attack

Discussion in 'off topic' started by avole, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I was very impressed by the NZ PM Jacinda Ardern. A perfecly pitched statement IMO.

2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

It’s the white supremecists who think Soros is encouraging Muslim migration.

3. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Don’t twist my words.

4. avole

The NZ police deserve special praise, too. They appear to gave done their jobs with a quiet and exemplary efficiency in circumstances they can never have faced before.

5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

We already have laws relating to proscribed organisations and legal demonstrations.

6. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Really struggling to understand why you would you want to watch that?

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I know, we just need to start applying some balance to what exactly is proscribed. I have no issue in the law itself, I just feel the far-right get a free pass too often.

Nick_G, davidsrsb and jackbarron like this.
  8. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Why wasn’t the feed taken down?
    Social media making money perhaps?

ian r likes this.
  9. Cav

Cav pfm Member

The essence of a mature society is that it allows diversity of opinion and the expression of it, imo. The more that diverse opinion is allowed to be proscribed, more diverse opinions will be proscribed and that is dangerous.

I would rather all voices should be heard.

ian r likes this.
  10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I get the impression it was removed as soon as it was flagged. The problem was that it had by that time already been copied (I assume some far-right thugs must have been expecting it) and then copied/distributed and re-uploaded to various sites. There are clear parallels here with ISIS/Al Qaeda etc who abuse established media platforms in a similar way.

11. Gaycha

Gaycha Well-Known Member

The far right is political. Isis is religious. They are not the same. Different motivations, different treatments.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Very strong overlap, e.g. lots of Christian rhetoric and iconography in this terrorist incident as I understand it, as there so often is with white supremacy. The Ku Klux Klan obviously being a prime example.

Nick_G and martin clark like this.
  13. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Social media, legacy media too - Daily Mail was showing the stream until protest led them to take it down. Old and new media have been plying hate in pursuit of ad revenue for a long time and the whole business model needs to be put in the bin. YouTube pushing Tommy Robinson vids, The Times and all the rest pushing culture war bull____, BBC platforming fascists on the grounds of free speech - blood on their hands.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Nick_G like this.
  14. Cav

Cav pfm Member

How would you treat each, given the motivations are different?

suzywong likes this.
  15. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Huh? I did not try to twist your word. You asked “Evidence?”, and I asked of what?

16. Gaycha

Gaycha Well-Known Member

I am not in charge of justice, neither do I dispense internet pearls of wisdom how miscreants should be treated.

But I do sense that a secular vs a political ideology motivation, both warped imo, might respresent slightly different challenges for justice and society. That does not go to say that outcomes might not be the same.

17. deanf

deanf pfm Member

They use different tools to manipulate people but for both of them it's about land.

18. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Yes.

'Christianism' has on occasion been suggested in equivalency to 'Islamism' [as an explanation of Isis/daesh]; the militarisation of non-mainstream strains of more-widely-understood beliefs.

But the only 'equivalency' really, is not in terms of Faith, nor it's lack, nor fervent celerity: it's in a new-found way to militarise along such convenient channels a sense of personal inadequacy, fuelled and channelled by outside sponsors, that makes otherwise-sentient but dispossessed human beings feel they must take up arms for their own 15mins of infamy. And leave such dreadful devastation in their wake.

19. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Exactly, ISIS/ISIL is a far right ideology and is just another supremacist cult.
    What worries me is how quickly the stream was pushed to some non-muslims in my office in Malaysia yesterday by social media.

20. avole

That was my feeling . Unfortunately there are many who get grim pleasure out of events like this, the ‘need to be shocked’ syndrome. It’s the same morbid attraction people have for the computer games that murder on a massive, and graphically accurate scale. I scan read a little and noticed references to computer games in his text.

Just how harmful this is I’m not sure. Remember our history of watching live torture, from stoning to death, guillotine, hanging etc. Personally I had no desire to see these events live, let alone secondhand. But then, I rounded the corner one day in Darwin’s pedestrianised street to see a man collapse at the top of a small set of steps, someone running, and thirty people standing paralysed as a thick pool of blood began to flow slowly down the steps. The other thing I remember is somehow dialling the emergency services. The lines were all blocked, because I swear all the bystanders had phones to their ears.

Reality bears vicarious pleasure any time.

Those are the only images I have, by the way, I don’t remember how I got back to the office nor how the incident ended, though it wasn’t hard to work out. I mention this because I saw the same stunned reaction from some of the eye witnesses on TV last night as mine must have been.

PhilofCas likes this.