1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gassor, Dec 19, 2017.

1. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Steven Gerrard promised to adopt Jurgen Klopp’s style of play at Ibrox. At least he's got a sense of humour, he'll definitely need it!

2. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Giroud forced a save in the second half.
    Funny old game...

3. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I meant in the first half...post now edited

4. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I'm sure he'd have been appalled. But money was further away from cricket until well after that. As he was talking about the 1960s I'm not sure that was a comparison he could make. The point being he thought football was becoming compromised back then.....I'd say that was nothing compared to now.

ciderglider likes this.
  5. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Chelsea Ladies have won the double for the second time. The Super League title and The FA Cup are happily back where they belong. City and the Arse are nowhere to be seen. ITV tells the story here http://www.itv.com/news/london/2018-05-16/chelsea-win-womens-super-league-title/

Will be amazed if we win The FA Cup on Saturday, given how badly we played against Newcastle. Stranger things have happened though.

Meanwhile Hazard has warned he'll only sign another contract if Chelsea buy some class players during the summer. Don't blame him.

When Stamford Bridge is being rebuilt next decade, Chelsea will play at an as yet undecided ground for four years. If they aren't regularly winning games and trophies, the stadium will look like The Emirates on a bad week. People no longer pay to watch mediocre teams.

Jack

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Interesting documentary on Netflix - Le K Benzema. It’s in French with English subtitles.

Football, sex tape, racism - something for everyone. It is hard to understand why, given he was acquitted on criminal charges, he is not on the French national team. It is clearly not an issue of talent.

7. adamk

adamk pfm Member

Without Hazard & Willian Chelsea will be mediocre next season.

Mind you, Fan power still counts for something even at mediocre clubs as Moyes & Allardyce have learnt to their cost. Everton finished 8th: do their fans really think it can get much better ?

8. jackbarron

Chelsea have only got Cahill and Loftus-Cheek in the England 23 squad. I am kind of surprised Cahill made it into the team, even though he has captained England in the past.

Jack

9. jackbarron

Very much doubt they'll be leaving, although Willian has been getting annoyed recently, my guess is with Conte.

Jack

10. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

I think this is bang on the mark, although I get the point that the football wasn't worth watching much of the time. I stopped feeling sorry for millionaire managers who can spend more time counting their money, and both Allardyce and Moyes have done well out of mediocrity. Marco Silva, OTOH, has much to prove at Everton and hopefully for the fans he will deliver.

11. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Am trying to watch the Europa League final through a thick cloud of smoke. Why do some fans think it is ok to light flares at a match? Ridiculous!

12. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

You gave up football a long time ago when you started supporting Chelsea:)

13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

and what's left of the screen is covered in banners; the score banner in big bright colours taking up most of the top left quadrant of the screen and the BT logo taking up most or the left!

14. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Spanish teams have now won 8 out of the last 9 European trophies, must be something in the Rioja.

15. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Chelsea fan of 40+ years who promised himself he wouldn't get involved in footy discussions on this site!
    Catastrophic season for Chelsea which is mostly down to Conte and the board.
    IMHO Conte should have been relieved of his duties straight after the appalling, apology of a performance at the Etihad against City.
    Maybe, just maybe, they would have then scraped into the top 4 at Spurs or Liverpool's expense.
    If United are on their game on Saturday a repeat scoreline of the '94 final would not be out of the question.

16. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I have to disagree on a couple of points. First, my complaint is with the board, not the manager. We've made some insane buying and selling decisions over the last few seasons (Salah, De Bruyne, Lukaku), and getting rid of Matic this season was maddest of them all. I don't blame Conte for that.

Neither do I blame Conte for Man City. I think his tactics were spot on. Play deep, don't allow any space between the back 5 and midfield 4, and break quickly. Same tactics that worked against Barcelona for 89 out of the 90 minutes. Problem against Man city was that when we broke, the pass went astray allowing Man City to break back.

However, I'm still fuming about the performance against Bournemouth and Newcastle...don't mention bloody Newcastle.

Newcastle! Newcastle! The most abject performance I've seen anytime, anywhere!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bugger, you've started me off again. I'm just going back indoors now for more pills and a little lie down.

Weekender likes this.
  17. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I'm disappointed that we sold those players as well but the first three that you mention were a little while ago and we have since won (walked) the league.
    As for Matic I don't believe that selling him was the problem; the problem was replacing him with the mediocre (at best) Bakayoko.
    I think it's safe to assume that he was Conte's choice as until very recently he's picked him at every opportunity and Bakayoko has rewarded that faith by being, in the main, total rubbish.
    I thought the tactics and performance against City were embarrassing and any neutrals tuning in to watch that game must have been thinking Chelsea were in a relegation spot trying to steal a point rather than the reigning champions chasing a top four finish.
    I'm not sure I understand the Barcelona tactics comparison as that was a two legged affair where we were clearly looking to keep a clean sheet, nick a goal of our own and go to Spain with something to defend.
    Things started going wrong for Conte before the season even started when he stupidly and publicy fell out with Costa and his constant whining and negativity at virtually every press conference has set the tone for poor performances on the pitch and at the same time alienated board members.
    Not content with that he even found time to take part in a feud with Mourinho which he predictably came off 2nd best in and also fall out with David Luiz.
    I'll take your word about the Newcastle game as I haven't seen it.

18. murray johnson

murray johnson pfm Member

They are a curious team at the moment. If they turn up & if Hazard decides to try & particularly if they score first, they can win. But if they go behind they look fragile & heads might drop. I don't expect Jose will be sending Utd out to partake in a feast of scintillating football so it could all be a bit dull. I hope one side scores early then at least there may be something worth watching. Recently Utd only seem to have tried when they've gone behind & time's been against them.

19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

If both teams play to their potential Chelsea will walk it.

20. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator