1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread

Discussion in 'off topic' started by vuk, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Knowing UEFA all 4 English teams will draw each other. We shall see, but does this mean power in Europe has swung back to the Premier league?.. whatever, there should be some cracking matches in the quarter finals.

2. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I'm not sure about that.
    Spurs & Man U's survival to this stage is bordering on miraculous and Liverpool also flirted with elimination albeit as a consequence of being drawn in an incredibly tough group.
    I think that at least two of the english clubs will be drawn together but as far as eventual winners I'll stick with my original prediction of Barcelona.

jackbarron likes this.
  3. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

We need 4-5 years of 3 to 4 English teams getting into the quarters for me to consider us dominating in Europe.

webster likes this.
  4. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I said "would have been" not "should have been".

5. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The last time England reigned in The Champions League was when Chelsea won it in 2012.

Until another English side manages this, all the rest are losers - 2nd, 3rd or 4th just isn't good enough. Patting yourselves on the back until your shoulders crack makes no difference.

Jack

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    webster likes this.
  6. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

I doubt anyone was thinking dominating just yet, but the possibility that the power shift may be moving again. Barcelona and my favourites Juve will take some stopping, and Juve look as though they aren't done investing yet either for future seasons, but they're just the one team in Italy. Real's struggle post Ronaldo adds to the players legacy, but then United struggled post Ronaldo too, it's hard to replace one of the greatest footballers of all time I guess, and it will be interesting to see when Messi eventually leaves or retires from Barca.

7. myles

Why does he leave? Is he leaving because he sees the degradation of the team he is currently playing for? I wouldn't say the teams suffer for his leaving, more that they are already on their bones already and he aint hanging around to be involved in a second or third place team.

8. myles

I tell my son this, there is no 'Coming Back From 2-0 Down Against PSG Trophy' or 'Fared Quite Well In Europe Cup'. In football there are few winners and lots of losers.

jackbarron likes this.
  9. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

He may never leave, Barca, but he will retire, that's for certain. If he did though, a fresh challenge, even more money, play for Pep again at Juve next season and join up with Ronaldo?.. who knows.

10. myles

Pep is going to Juve next season? That'll be you hoping against all hope there.

11. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

I couldn't give a monkey's toss what Pep does, but it's been rumbling in the media recently, and bearing in mind he left Bayern after only a few seasons, who's to say what he will do?

12. myles

OK then. I am of the opinion that he will stay and build City into the United of the present.

Clive D likes this.
  13. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

He couldn't live long enough to do that, never mind manage. :D

14. myles

Well they are just about playing the best football ever seen in the Prem so he's ticking all the boxes.

15. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Pep will be off once the bans kick in.

jackbarron likes this.
  16. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Messi should show some class and move to Chelsea.

Jack

17. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I would rather say, the Liverpool of the '80s. They had a system where the reserves played in the same manner as the first team, so youngsters and new signings played there and learned. When they came up to the first team they didn't have to change. I've always been surprised that every club didn't do the same. City certainly didn't in the same period; I used to watch the reserve matches.

18. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

19. myles

I think I meant the previous generation of United - this generation is hapless.

20. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Paul Scholes didn’t last long as a manager did he?

No doubt he’ll be back obnoxiously pontificating as a pundit on tv telling other managers how to do it soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.