1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, Jan 21, 2020.

1. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

But when and how many games and then what about deciding the champions of each league? I doubt even the wisdom of several Solomons would sort out the situation.

2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I still like the idea of expanding the PL by two, then 2 up none down throughout the divisions based on current standings.

3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

in the absence of the match, here's something to keep you going. Hands - washing hands, don't touch me, I won't touch you...

4. gassor

Wimbledon has been cancelled, the Olympics have been bleached, the world's biggest Arts fest in August has been cancelled and what decisions have been made about the pastime of far greater significance .. er not much. What are the plans for finishing this football season around Europe and what are the expected implications for competitions next season (apart from ditching the Euros) the answer is a resounding .. er dunno. It has long been argued that the financial bubble that surrounds the top leagues has got to pop at some time, that time could be fast approaching. UEFA's reluctance to get its collective finger out has been excused because of the possible litigation of the TV companies who have billions invested in all the games of the remaining season being screened. Well if the season is cut short as of this minute then would the TV companies really bankrupt European football to get their hands on some cash in the meantime? Thinking of the goose and the golden egg makes me doubt it, but the inflated spending may have to be curtailed.

Nobody knows when it will be safe to attend football matches again so this season should be ended as of now and next season can start whenever it is safe to do so and then we can see what is do-able and what isn't.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I think the Govt should be very wary about furlough cash going to PL clubs.

julifriend and Weekender like this.
  6. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

I suspect either the PL to be extended to include two more teams or the most likely is that they'll try to play it to a finish (behind closed doors and could mean 3 games a week for some) and scrub the lesser Cups next season if they're able to start the next one by say September. I'm only of this view as I think just cancelling it could lead to the collapse of many clubs who've been handsomely rewarded already for the TV coverage.

As for missing it, clearly not... it's not very important in the real world and those wealthy 'stars' need to be careful regarding the contributions they give back to the grass roots level.

7. gassor

There has to be talks with the TV companies to try to reach some kind of agreement in these absolutely unique times. If TV wants to sue football clubs they could destroy much of football and I suspect that is in no-one's interest. I expect the priority for TV is to finish the CL and the Europa League and have individual countries determine how to finish their leagues. It would be good of the Scottish and English leagues could work out a common approach but this it seems is unlikely as things stand. Guessing when the season can restart and trying to work out how to fit in remaining league and cup games while still having sufficient time to have a worthwhile season in 20/21 is full of pitfalls.

I guess at the end of the day it is a gut reaction, but I think it is better to pull the shutters down on the leagues for this season, try to find time for the cups (national and European) possibly behind closed doors and then be ready to make a fresh start whenever the season can properly start again. There will be a lot of pain whatever is decided, but surely the time has come to make some decisions. UEFA has to step up to the plate and not prevaricate forever.

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

One fly in the ointment for closed doors is the players' insurance policies apparently and whether they would knowingly be putting themselves at risk. I don't think that anyone could argue with any seriousness that football is essential.

I.D.C. likes this.
  9. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

I just don't see how you can look to start the next season before this one is completed... I'm sure this was the Gary Neville view I heard him explain?

Weekender likes this.
  10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Finish the season, even if next year is truncated and delayed. That's just my opinion of course.

tqineil likes this.
  11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Outside the PL, loan deals would probably be over and many (if not most) teams would struggle to pick a side at all, nevermind one that was anywhere close to comparable to their 1st choice. IMO it's a write off.

12. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

If possible the leagues should be concluded with behind closed doors games, to my mind creating a void with the current season is very unfair on teams seeking promotion just as it would be to deny Liverpool status as champions.

Karen Brady and the dildo brothers would not make any claims for the PL league to be called void if they occupied their usual mid to high position in the league.Whatever league or club

13. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

My guess is that this season will eventually be written off. A view will be taken when it’s clearer how everything is going. TV won’t sue, they need the product, Sky and BT need the next season to be uninterrupted if possible, and they’d like normality to be resumed. It’s easier to write off this season than it is to try and compress two into a small pot. As for Europe as City are appealing they’ll be allowed to play in the Champions League, so there’ll be a redraw of the teams in the current competition.
    Liverpool will have legendary status as the Champions that weren’t, and normal service will be resumed when we win the league next year!

14. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Of course Covid may well still be around next winter with no vaccine available...

I.D.C. likes this.
  15. gassor

Just in. "Club Brugge have been declared as champions of the Belgian Pro League after it was decided to end the season as it stands due to the coronavirus crisis.

The Belgian FA are the first UEFA nation to make a decision on their league standings after the league's board decided that the season wouldn't be able to be completed."

Weekender and tqineil like this.
  16. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Football needs to get its act together clearly obscene amounts of money are poured into clubs. Yet they payout payments with no savings for the next 12 month in most cases. The league only stopped two to three weeks ago now clubs cutting wages because they cant afford to pay full wages. What kind of business model is this its nuts but the average fan does not care. I would be surprised if things remain the same when football returns. The financial down turn to this crisis will change everything.

17. gassor

Just a thought! I'm not a cricket fan but was wondering if some variation on the Duckworth-Lewis method could be applied to league football?

18. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Either finish the season at current positions, or delay the resumption until March next year and continue where you left off.

Weekender likes this.
  19. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

But of course, they might not. I would award it to them this season, and I'm a City supporter!

20. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

With Liverpool's absolute dominance this season and given the current crisis the reality is we have been so good they should award next season's title to us as well....

tqineil and lordsummit like this.