1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season

Discussion in 'off topic' started by seagull, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BJP

BJP El Perro Azul

Denis Law once scored six goals in an FA Cup tie against Luton , the game got abandoned muddy pitch I think , City lost the rearranged game 2-1 ,Law also scored that one .

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Dennis Law's transfer money paid for new floodlights. I'm afraid there has always been a small minded mentality at Town, Shankly didn't do an amazing job for us so we perhaps didn't foresee what he would go on to achieve. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Herbert Chapman did well for us in the 20s though.

3. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Fairly certain that Liverpool were in the second division when Bill Shankly took over but football has changed so much. Blackpool with Matthews, Mortenson and Johnston etc were a top team as were Newcastle with Milburn and the Robledo brothers. Chelsea had a fantastic group of young talent as did Man United with the Busby Babes.

Now success is to a large extent determined by who has money and spends wisely.

Weekender likes this.
  4. BJP

BJP El Perro Azul

Hasn't it just , when I was a kid I could name every player that would be turning out for their club on a Saturday afternoon in the First Division , 25 to pick from now .

5. BJP

BJP El Perro Azul

Well if they had let him buy the two players mentioned which he did when he got to Liverpool you could have been 6 times Euro Champs now :p

6. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

I could do that as well, now I can't even pronounce most of the players names. :(

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

They were in 2nd division, they were probably seen as a smaller team than Town at the time.

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

At least he didn't go to Leeds

9. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Shearer had a clause in his contract that he was always to be the best paid player, Owen coming in on £120k a week probably increased his pay but pricked his ego.

11. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Old blokes who used to play for Newcastle, and now punt themselves as television commentators, are hardly to be trusted.

It's not like they played for Chelsea, a team with a great moral backbone.

Jack

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Which part? I believe it to be factually correct, I never said one was better than the other. Shearer was obviously the better, more consistent striker in the PL.

13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Sky Blues 3-2 over Blackpool, we're on our way back. Remember the Trevor Francis transfer? We were the only side that could match the fee!

14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

16. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Barkley has started for England and Mason Mount is on the bench. This means they could beat Bulgaria, but Southgate should have picked Tammy Abraham to make sure.

The Chelsea striker is deadly at the moment, whereas Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford and Callum Wilson, are plodding in comparison.

England have done very little since John Terry was captain.

Jack

ks.234 likes this.
  17. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Just a World Cup semi-final, how did it go when he was captain remind me again?

18. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Best finish at a World Cup since 1990.
    Depends what you mean by very little...

19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Soft pen.
    Great run though.

20. adamk

adamk pfm Member

Wycombe Wanderers, top of League 1
    Just enjoying the moment