1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season

Discussion in 'off topic' started by seagull, Jun 13, 2019.

1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Have to agree with Webster, Kovacic has been important. We now seem to have a a system in which players play in positions other than their comfort zone, Kante is no longer just a holding midfielder, Kovococ is no longer just a get-the-foot-in-first tackler, and Jorge is still just someone who can pass the ball, but rather well (I can feel my own argument getting the better of me here, but bear with me).... The upside is that we have Kante popping up in an unexpected advanced position and scoring a goal from a rather Jorgesque pass from Kovacic, the downside is we're left exposed when Jorge gets caught with the ball, Kovacic doesn't get in the right position to cut off a Mahrez cut inside and we concede a goal. Yes, you could argue that Emerson should've showed him down the line, but if he thought Kovacic had the cut inside covered, he might've tried to give himself an extra nano second head start?

All said and done, ours is very much an experimental team that was up against a team that is experienced and proven, and, forgetting just for a moment the fact that we lost (!), there were a lot of positives.

jackbarron and webster like this.
  2. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Mmm, I'd have to watch it again. Whoever didn't cross to Abraham was an idiot, likewise the guy who gave the ball away that led to the first Manc Crappy goal. As for Kepa's mistake !

Tammy is good and has plenty of time to develop.

Jack

ks.234 and webster like this.
  3. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Wilf Zaha is one of the most fouled players in the country and frequently has two,three sometimes four players on him because of his skill levels. Watford one of the dirtiest teams in the country even admit they take it in turns to kick him. He does not help himself because he moans about being kicked and has a suspect temperament.

Because of his pace he is often brought down. Milner was red carded last season because he fouled Zaha. In my opinion Trent Alexander struggled to contain him on Saturday but it is equally true that he has not had a good season following the transfer shambles .

Arsenal made a stupid offer for him and yet paid 72 million for Pepe who is not as good as Zaha. Everon bid for him but was turned down, how the hell Everton could have provided him champion league football which was his stated desire was beyond me because like Palace they could not have provided that.

He loves Palace because he lived by Selhurst Park.

Palace who pay good wages have not had sufficient funds to bring in the players of his calibre to play with but this may change because Palace are apparently in take over talks.

I seldom comment on my team in either a pro or negative sense but so much crap is written about Zaha for example the recent game with Arsenal when Atkinson booked him for a blatant foul by Chambers and then had to revoke the card and decision. Then the Arsenal guy with the huge barnet body checked in NHL style.

I do care what others think about Wilf but I hope he completes his career at Palace.

Happy Christmas/Piss Off

4. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Well... I didn't see that scoreline coming at 2-0, very entertaining.

5. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

In the end, a very entertaining match for us neutrals!

MU looked much better playing a back 4, and for about 8 minutes, they looked world class.

SHU fought hard all day, and certainly deserved the point.

IMO, it was a good thing that VAR did not erase the equalizer. But as the commentator said, you could see whatever you wanted on the replay.

I hereby officially name this the Szechuan Derby (MU SHU, geddit?). :D

6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Zaha himself is not averse to a little dig, should have been sent off against Huddersfield last season. Very, very talented player though

7. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

I am not really surprised when Huddersfield deservedly beat Palace there was a lot of anger not about the result but how physical Huddersfield were and they gave Zaha a good kicking and he missed a few games as a result.

I deliberately did not mention Huddersfield in my comment on Zaha and I avoid having a go at teams supported by others and If Zaha was out of order seeking revenge I am sorry but your team was hated for your physical play that day.

SteveS1 likes this.
  8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Funny because Sheffield United have been praised for that today. I can't really comment on the Palace game, it is so long ago now but I remember Zaha moaning about it. The Chapionship is a much more physical league & we certainly weren't the dirtiest team the year we went up. It is up the referee to enforce the rules.

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

21 prem games.

6 wins.

progress?

10. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Not sure about your point ,three teams come up from the championship each year but you chose to play that way , if you consider that you kick and foul until a nasty referee comes along to stop you then perhaps your relegation was a suitable and just reward.

I had thought better of you than that.

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

We stayed up in the first year. I don't think we were overly dirty but we hadn't really adapted to the Premiere league, it was our first game of the season.

I don't think you are qualified to pass moral judgement on us. We played some excellent football in the first season but that doesn't really fit your narrative.

12. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

100+ years, and over a billion pounds spent, yet still no European Cup/Champions League title.. Progress?

webster likes this.
  13. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Can Chelsea fans use less and shorter sentences please.

14. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

No

15. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Good start.

16. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

Barry old chap

While I can't disagree about the facts. At least we are in with a chance of winning CL, not that means too much atm. The way your team is going, you won't get a place in the Europa cup next season, never mind the CL.

17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Just under a billion pounds spent in the last 5 years to cement 8th place.

Ollie’s at the wheel though...

LOL

18. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

((Sigh)).. Congratulations, and so you should be!! With the accusation of saying something that I wouldn't do to a member face to face, which is untrue, but is a mods mantra these days prior to banning. Look into my eye and tell me that financial doping by the Arabs hasn't instigated that situation, whereas the financial hamstringing by the Glazers taking money out of the club has, yet even at our lowest ebb since pre Fergie, mid table in the Premier League.. i'd take that. Put that up against the City ebb of the 1st division, and selling Shaun Wright Phillips to keep the club afloat when still under your own steam. Don't let the money United has spent fool you, mismanagement can still happen even when money is being spent, Woodward being a contributing factor, by buying players to grab headlines, rather than players that we needed. Sanchez being a perfect example, when Ozil was the player we needed, and Mourinho had a relationship with him before.
    Bob may mock Ole, and although he's out of his depth, and found wanting when things aren't going well, his buying period has been sound, and has us set up with a far better balanced team as a result. If United decided to pull the trigger and go for Poch now that he's available, I personally would like to retain Ole in the coaching staff, because he clearly has an understanding of United, and with his acquisitions has an understanding of what United needs. If I were a City supporter, i'd be worried that Pep hasn't conquered Europe yet, because he'll soon get bored and be ready for another challenge, especially if FFP curtails the elaborate spending of the past. Will it really get any better for City than it is right now?.. and already you're falling a long way behind Liverpool, who are a club with proper pedigree and have the support and structure to justify their spending to FFP. I've said it before, and i'll say it again, City will find their level again as Leeds and Blackburn did after spending beyond their 'own' means. City can only go down from here, and United are far from their own ceiling, so make the most of it, because the tables will turn again, not this season, maybe not next, but it will happen.

19. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

^^^^^ Alex S, where are you?

webster and Alex S like this.
  20. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

Barry

I feel your pain as a city supporter, I've had too many years of under performing with the rock bottom of losing to York City, that left us mid table in the 3rd division.... I'm quite happy to repeat what I've said many times on here, if City have broken the rules, then they should be punished. I've also said that I am uneasy with the clubs ownership, but I'm not going to stop supporting them after 53 years...... When the Glaziers finally check out after loading the club up with debt, which isn't that far away from what my United side of the family keep telling me, who do you think is going to buy them?

My view is I'm going to enjoy watching a team that at times plays spellbounding football and enjoy the ride. As it's City, things are bound to go pear shaped at some time until then I want to see more matches like last weekend's match with Chelsea, I wouldn't of been too unhappy if they would of lost because it was a game that was thrilling to watch. If I were a United supporter, I think I'd have my head in my hands at some of the awful tedious football I've seen over the past few seasons. At least when City were playing awful football, we didn't have any money to buy at anyone of the level United had when they outspent every single club in the PL year after year after year. If I were you, I'd be worried that Woodward seems to incapable of knowing what a good player looks like when it comes to improving them on the pitch. You can spend as much money as you want as Bob has pointed out, but if you buy more duff players than good ones, then you aren't going to get into the top 4.

So chin up old chap, you are right, at some stage the tables will turn but I don't think it is going to change soon.

Barryoke likes this.