1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Murray close to retirement.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Weekender, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Sad.
    Andy Murray says Australian Open could be his last tournament - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018
    Murray's career in numbers
    Grand Slams 37 weeks as world number one
    2 Olympic gold medals 14 Masters 1000 titles
    1 ATP Finals 8 Grand Slam finals

To do that in the Federer/Djokovic era...is well done.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Shame that he's going so young and not able to continue like McEnroe, Navratilova or Williams. A charmed life, though, he was at school in dunblane that day and lucky enough to be in another classroom.

3. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

He's been a fantastic player and owes nobody anything after a superb career. In order to compete at the top level he has relied more than some on a very high level of physicality, so no great suprise that it has taken such a toll. He should concentrate on taking a course that improves his general quality of life, not worry about playing again. Well played Andy.

Linds and Weekender like this.
  4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Sad that he probably won`t be able to retire at Wimbledon as he would want but at least he`ll be able to stop being British and go back to being Scottish.

Martian Sunrise and Ali T like this.
  5. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

He's had a great career and won much in an era when three other greats also played - Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. A little sad that his retirement is enforced, rather than when he would choose, but at least it wasn't when he was young and establishing himself. Good luck to him.

Dozey likes this.
  6. narabdela

narabdela who?

Don't forget his captaincy of a Davis Cup winning team also.

All this and I still hear snide comments about "That grumpy Scottish git". :(

Weekender likes this.
  7. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

While I admire his achievements I think he's damaging his legacy with the last 12 - 18 months of what seems like an "injury diary/tortured soul" routine. The media are partly to blame, but I think he's been ill advised by those close to him to be so public about his injury issues and recovery. I also feel his tears in the news conference are genuine, but many will feel that a multi-millionaire in tears about not being able to play top line tennis is a bit rich when there are millions so much less fortunate than him.

8. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Agreed. Easy for others to pop at him, but when you have to give something up that you feel passionate about, for whatever reason, its never easy. Sure, hes financially secure, but to a sportsman like Murray finance isn't the only driver.

TheDecameron likes this.
  9. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I'm not really that interested in sport in general. But I feel his openness and honesty about the difficulties he's been dealing with is a sensible way to behave. If nothing else, it may help others with serious problems to be open and not make them worse because they are frightened to admit them and be seen as 'weak'.

Linds, gintonic, Andrew C! and 3 others like this.
  10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Andy is absolutely self-aware re this. He was mocking himself to journalists shortly after the conference apparently.

11. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Very sad news. He seems like a top bloke and a wonderful tennis player. We are unlikely to see his like again for many years.

Before him a Scotsman playing tennis was a figure of fun - anyone else remember the Monty Python sketch where a Scot was beaten at tennis by a blancmange?

12. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

He also pretty much won the Davis Cup single-handedly as well. Desperately unlucky to have as his contemporaries three of the greatest players ever. He will be very sorely missed.

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Far better than all the previous British hopes since before I was born. As Steve said above, his style is tough on the body compared with Federers smoothness

14. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

It's a shame Murray's career is finishing like this. I was never a big fan until he actually came through and won Wimbledon, not once but twice.

The press conference this morning was a sad affair. Nonetheless as Billie Jean King points out this could be the start of something bigger. "So sorry you cannot retire on your own terms, but remember to look to the future. Your greatest impact on the world may be yet to come. Your voice for equality will inspire future generations."

Hope Murray makes it through to Wimbledon to bow out. If he doesn't, he's done more than enough anyway.

Jack

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    gintonic and Weekender like this.
  15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

He may be wealthy, but his whole raison d'etre is and has been top line tennis. It's this aspect of not being able to do what so many years of training and practice have honed him for. Yes, he may well end up as a coach and indeed play tennis at a lower level, but that's simply not where it's at with the top pro's. After all, Rafa, Derek (Del Potro) and others have indeed come back from debilitating injuries; time and again. However hips are a class apart where injuries are concerned.

He's more than made his mark for this country against probably the highest level opposition tennis has seen in the top four or five. Salut !

Andrew C! and Weekender like this.
  16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Doubtful of even that, from the sounds of it he needs another op just to give him some sort of quality of life post retirement.

I don't think a career in the media beckons either, what with his charm and wit in front of the camera...

I'm sure he'll find something to do, must be sad though knowing it's unlikely you'll ever swing a racket again or play any sort of sport even at a recreational level, especially as a professional athlete.

17. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

I think he has quite a dry sense of humour, and would be a huge improvement on Henman, Castle and Lloyd in the commentary box, though I suspect he won’t want the gig.

jackbarron likes this.
  18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

If correct his net worth is £80m+ so I don't suppose he needs an income but too young to retire. Anyway he gave us something to cheer and I wish him well.

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

it has bugger all to do with the money, it's about him wanting to be the best in the world at the sport he has done since before he could ride a bike.

20. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

Ha. “Scotland’s Andy Murray loses the first two sets, but the Briton bravely fought back to win the next three sets and the match...”

Eyebroughty and narabdela like this.