1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Murray close to retirement.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Weekender, Jan 11, 2019.

1. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

He has been a great player and has always given 100% and a never give in attitude . It is a great shame he cannot retire on his own terms and I admire him for tellling it how it is and he regretfully has to give up championship tennis

2. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Many of us have had to give up activities which we loved, believed in and did our best to excel at.

Few of us ended up millionaires.

I applaud his achievements, I sympathise with his position.. but I'm not losing any sleep..

His family is loaded and so is he.
    He will simply have to deal with his changing circumstances just like millions of others, except that where for many such change can lead to poverty, homelessness, etc., his will simply leave him looking for a 'plum' coaching/commentary job, appearances on 'Question of Sport', etc.

Let's get a little perspective here folks.

PhilofCas likes this.
  3. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

If he had merely taken without promoting equality (when that was unpopular), I might have agreed with you Mull. But he did make the points for equality when others didn't, and that's what sets him apart from others.
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...dy-murray-great-scot-great-guy-great-backhand

4. Mullardman

I take all of that on board, but I'm sorry, I'm not crying about a millionaire whose career has been cut short, but who will continue to have huge opportunity, whilst kids are living in B&Bs and folks are living on the streets in the 5th biggest economy in the World.

PhilofCas likes this.
  5. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Wow. No-one asking for your tears on this thread that I can see Mull. It's just a bit of appreciation for a 31yo sportsman who has had to give up due to injury.

Weekender and gintonic like this.
  6. Mullardman

I've already given it.

7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

If he plays his cards right, a position in the UK Olympics machine and a peerage at some point. Others who have done much less did it.

8. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

Well I wish we could get him off the news. Has he been taking acting lessons, blubbering on demand. Ok he's had a good tennis career, especially with the top opponents he has faced, but he hasn't always been the jovial good time guy many are making him out to be.

9. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Very few professional athletes are "nice people". It takes a particular obsession and indeed selfishness to be great.

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

And can we stop this 5th biggest economy in the World stuff. 7th and dropping.

11. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

The UK and France are neck to neck at 5th/6th, but UK growth is currently very marginally above that of France. India is about to overtake them both, if it hasn't already. In terms of GDP per capita, France is ranked 21st, the UK 23rd. India is ranked at 142.

12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

India has a larger part of it's economy that is not measured in any stats: I'm sure it is already ahead of both.

13. Mullardman

OK :)

14. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

15. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

I kind of know what he's going through regarding the hip. I'm 44 this year and my left hip has an impingement. It's slowly getting worse and i'm nursing it along, i reckon i'll have a new hip by the age of 50.
    What he's had is a keyhole surgery where they go in and shave away whatever part is "rubbing". From the research I've done this hardly ever works and the NHS no longer fund it. Basically he's got bad hips and he's worn them/it out. He needs a hip replacement and no more competitive tennis. Forget the money, the guy just wants to play tennis just like i would like to go jogging and longer bike rides like i used to, it's very frustrating when you're so young.

TheDecameron, Weekender and gintonic like this.
  16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Sorry to read that Ellenor, my dog has/had elbow dysplasia (right front leg) at 12 months of age and he had keyhole surgery to do exactly what you've described ie shaving the bones and it worked as he's now absolutely fine however he'll likely get it in his other elbow and he'll more than likely end up with arthritis in both elbows.

17. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

That’s good news about your dog. My hip is usually ok doing normal daily activities, only occasionally giving me real grief. It does feel kind of stiff a lot and I notice this while cycling but I feel cycling has helped.The thing is I like to keep fit but I also make sure I don’t aggravate the hip, it’s a bit of a balancing act and something that is not going to get easier. Andy Murray has kept doing what is hurting him and he totally buggered himself:D

twotone likes this.
  18. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

That’s pretty much where I was 5 year ago, i’m now 50 and touch wood, I won’t be needing a new hip (or 2!). At the time I just thought it was wear and tear from all the sport I’d done over the years and convinced myself that out of them, that cycling helped. I rode road bikes at the time, and through trial and error sussed out that the racy/aero position actually put my hips under undue stress. Basically I’ve packed in road biking and now only ride an MTB with a much relaxed upright riding position. My hips now are OK, not perfect, but much much improved, I’d encourage you to check this aspect of cycling out.

Ellenor likes this.
  19. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi,

Ever since I was very young I used to listen to the news that yet another British, usually termed as English, player had nearly got to the Wimbledon semis or final, to fail yet again.

Suddenly we have Andy Murray who wins it not once but twice, plus all the other things he achieved, and he is Scottish and the best tennis player Britain has produced in decades if not ever.

Let's just accept that he was the best tennis player this country has ever produced and most likely ever will produce, end off.

Cheers

John

20. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Very true, I have been lucky enough in a former life to interview Michael Schumacher twice. Once during the halcyon Ferrari days and once while he was at Mercedes in the twilight of his driving career. On both occasions he was polite, affable and answered all my questions, but only in the second did I find him a truly warm, open and engaging personality, the first time was like he had a wall up and was thinking about other things rather than engaging. He wasn't rude, just massively focused beyond what people like me can imagine yet he seemed like a completely different person the second time, but he wasn't winning and dedicating every waking moment to the sport by then.

For the record he is, despite it being an unpopular view in the UK, one of my all time heroes.... they say you should never meet your heroes, but I'm very glad I did and I continue to wish him all the best in his recovery.

twotone, Salamander and TheDecameron like this.