1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Books

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Apr 8, 2014.

1. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Some of his posts are great, both in terms of the writing and what he covers.

Jack

2. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Wow that's some price £40!!

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

4. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

5. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

6. Tray

Tray pfm Member

7. Tray

Tray pfm Member

My life in the audio retail and recording business from 1974 until I left the London rat race In 1981 might be a good read.
    EMI put the nail in my companies coffin
    They were DER Television Rentals.

8. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

picked up "Bass, Mids, Tops,: an oral history of soundsystem culture" the other day. There was a launch at Sounds of the Universe in Soho.
    Just dipped into it so far but looks good. Like Brian David Steven's portraits.

http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe/bass-mids-tops/

9. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Thanks for the heads up mentalp, that looks interesting. There is more weirdness to investigate in the strangeattractor "shoppe".

10. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I saw John Anderson at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.. because a friend and Yes fan had a spare ticket. I was polite... but unimpressed. I went to the gents where two blokes were in hysterics and said. 'Sod this.... Pub...' I wished I could join them..

11. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Mrs Mull presented me with .The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions', by Mark Lewison. ISBN 9780600635611 as part of my Christmas stuff. Basically a diary of the Beatles Recording Sessions.

I've only dipped in so far.. but it's a fascinating read. Not only about the Beatles.. but also about the ferment which surrounded the 'Merseybeat' explosion.. with the Beatles, The Fourmost, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Biily J Kramer etc. all queuing up to record at Abbey Rd. OK. Much of it is now seen as 'pop pap'. but at the time it represented a huge shift away from basically American Pretty Boys called Bobby. It was a major shift iPop music... and led to something much more profound by the Beatles.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  12. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Worive and vince rocker like this.
  13. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

Wolfgang Flur - I Was A Robot
    Howard Devoto - It Only Looks As If It Hurts (lyrics only)

14. Dougal

Dougal pfm Member

If you can read German, the German first edition of that book is worth seeking out. It has a fair bit of material expunged from later editions (and the English translation) following legal action.

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

16. Andrew L Weekes

Andrew L Weekes Reverse Engineer

17. glenda

glenda pfm Member

I have just purchased the Pete Paphides book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Broken-Greek-Pete-Paphides/dp/1529404436

The prospect of buying this today was the only thing that got me through yesterday's tooth extraction with snapped roots.......with Steve Wright on the the dentist's radio.

I've only read the first 20 pages but it's already had me laughing a lot.

Cheers

Tony

18. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

A good egg is Pete. His Needle Mythology label is starting off very well, releasing stuff right up my street.

A brummie too. I used to buy his Perturbed fanzine back in the early 90s, and it was clear he could write. Still remember he had some great lyrics to 'Ironic Pop Song' by REM.

19. docstocker

docstocker pfm Member

Unable to work as I have woken up with a fever. Don’t feel ill but....
    So I have been looking for things to read during my seven days of quarantine.
    Found this thread and have now bought a couple of books to see me through.
    For anyone interested in classical music and it’s recording I have also picked out from my bookcase to read again,
    ‘Music makers on record’ by Sufi Raj Grubb. Only available second hand.
    He was a producer for EMI in the late 50’s, 60’s and 70’s
    Not a huge amount about recording technique but a lot about great musicians and the recordings they made together.

20. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Great book - highly recommended