1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Books

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Apr 8, 2014.

1. tuga

tuga pfm Member

2. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Found "Life on Two Legs" by Norman Sheffield pretty much unputdownable

Always loved that stuff out of Trident. Great Story.

3. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

4. tuga

tuga pfm Member

5. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

6. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

8. davidavdavid

davidavdavid davidavdavid

Great book about vinyl revival and record shops in the UK, my mate Graham Jones, author of Last Shop Standing promoting the book across Great Britain, here's a pre-order link via Rough Trade -> https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/books/graham-jones-the-vinyl-revival-and-the-shops-that-made-it-happen

The feel good read for analogue audiophiles everywhere :)

Please share with all those in your network. I thoroughly enjoyed his previous book Last Shop Standing and interviewed him:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wq-AyMhaJBVrn-DZDbOzfSHT-d-awKwD/view?usp=sharing

9. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

I’m late to this thread, but have just commenced reading The Piano Shop On The Left Bank.

It’s resonance with me is immediate. I love my Zimmerman 125, but what I wouldn’t do to have the space for a Bechstein or Steinway grand...

Cracking book recommendation.

10. paulc

paulc Registered User

Everything is Combustible - Richard Lloyd. Even if your not a fan of Television, this is still a great read / listen. I did the audiobook, also read by Lloyd which I think helps...he laughs and adds real emotion to what he describes as his memoirs. The book is maybe 20% about Television, the rest is about him growing up in the NY music scene, how he used sneak backstage and goes a lot into his time with Hendrix, Keith Moon, Keith Richards, Patti Smith, Led Zep etc....really insightful and usually also very funny. A very interesting individual telling the story of an extraordinary rock and roll life.

Without a doubt the best music audiobook I've listened to so far.

11. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Speaking of audiobooks, I'm a third of the way through "The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones" by Stanley booth - the link is to the printed version...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Adven...eywords=true+adventures+of+the+rolling+stones

It was a free Audible download a few years ago and I've only just started to listen to it. Recommended to any Stones fans who haven't read it.

The book covers the history of the Stones, but it's mainly about the events leading up to Altamont. Suffice it to say, it was a wacky, wacky world.

12. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

13. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Here, there and everywhere.

I love Simon Reynolds Energy flash and how he pokes fun at producers who take themselves too seriously, he has big love for much derided scenes such as Breakbeat hardcore, Gabba, etc. Kodwo Eshuns 'More brilliant than the sun' pays homage to the lesser known cosnic side of Jazz, Rap and other genres, his style is pretentious to the hilt and most annoying, you almost wish he was in the room so you could slap him across the face with the book. It was nonetheless brilliant and original.

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

15. Still

Still beware of the duck

tuga and TheDecameron like this.