1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music for current times

Discussion in 'classical' started by marshanp, Mar 19, 2020.

1. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Whether evocative or consolatory... a single suggestion, please, and ideally something that others may not have heard.

Mine is the Fifth Symphony of Giya Kancheli, played by the Georgian State SO under Djansug Kakhidze, recorded in 1981. Olympia OCD 403, out of print but available on Qobuz (and in a different version by the same conductor via Youtube).

Alternately evocative and consoling.

2. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Appalachian Spring by Copland. Bernstein or Tilson Thomas.

John.P likes this.
  3. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

I'm playing it now, in the Bernstein/NYPO version from 1962. I find it not without drama, but essentially... serene. I wonder why you chose it? Perhaps you are by nature an optimist?

I've always tended to go for Bernstein's DG remakes in preference to his earlier CBS recordings. This is a pretty good recording of great playing - I think that I will revise my position on which Bernstein versions to hear first, certainly in American music and perhaps also in Mahler.

I just happened to play the Kancheli 5th yesterday for the first time in several years, and it struck me as music particularly pertinent to our present troubled times - no shortage of stark, even grim, drama... but in the end reassuring that acceptance can be achieved, even if not everything works out as hoped.

4. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

At times like this I would never reel out the Pathetique or Schubert’s Wintereisse. You are correct.I am an optimist. Spring flowers from Winter and is a time of clarity, cleansing and re-birth. That’s why I chose it.
    I always felt Bernstein’s conducting began to chug in his later recordings. There are elements of brilliance still but too self indulgent for me. His early 60 New York recording of Mahler are filled with discovery of the new and have electric playing. His Das Lied of that era is white hot.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    marshanp likes this.
  5. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Regardless of this he was a great conductor, composer and teacher. Karajan on the other hand is someone who has grown greater with time. There was a time when he was out of favour but his Sibelius and Bruckner grow in stature as the years progress. If he wasn’t around during Bernstein’s era I think Bernstein would have been the more prominent.

6. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Conductors get famous, are regularly flattered... and some of them, at least, begin to think that they can do no wrong.

Then we get aberrations like Bernstein's Enigma Variations, his Tchaikovsky 6, or his terrible Bruckner performances.

Errr... I seem to be hijacking my own thread :rolleyes:

7. Goldenmouse

Goldenmouse pfm Member

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

9. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Soul piercing and sombre with a sliver of hope...

10. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Thank you - I liked that. Although it doesn't affect me quite the way it does you, she is some player. I investigated some of her Channel Classics recordings, and then felt a need for the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack... I see that she has arranged some of that for the harp (!), and will give it a try in due course.

Now, via some Faure and Scriabin's 4th Sonata, I am back at Kancheli 5, which seems to me more and more like a masterpiece at each hearing.

All played through my new-to-me Audio Analogue Puccini SE amplifier, which is doing very well :)

11. George J

George J Herefordshire member

Astor Piazzola's,

Oblivion.

I discovered this music in 2006 played on Bandoneons by a pair of Polish buskers in the Old Square in Krakow. Blue it may be but there is a twinkle in the sense of dance that pervades. I love it!

Here performed by Piazzola himself.

Best wishes from George

12. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Presto classical are selling the download (cd quality flac) of the Kancheli 4th & 5th Symphony for £2.28
    https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8109727--giya-kancheli-symphonies-nos-4-5

I got it..... and didn't like it much. I am familiar with some of his other works, particularly his 3rd symphony in the recording by Franz Wesler-Most & the LPO - which I really rate. But the 5th..... a bit of nicy-nice harpsichord, then crash-crash-bang-bang, then some sweetly yearning soaring strings..... and basically repeat round that for 25 minutes. It seemed to be a formula that came out of the Soviet era, I've heard the same in music by the likes of Boris Tischenko, Boris Tchaikovsky and Henryk Gorecki (not his 3rd), repeated sequences of big fortissimo blocks of sound, interspersed with melancholy reflection... and it really doesn't go far for me.

Not sure what I'd recommend for these times but Vaughan Williams 5th doing it for me at present (Previn/LSO)

13. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Whilst you are getting to close to channelling Uncle Monty there lads you are also inspiring me to get some of "yer classical, innit" out. Thank you:)

Isn't Mozart's clarinet concerto in A major one of the most joyous and life affirming things ever? IMHO anyway:)

George J likes this.
  14. George J

George J Herefordshire member

It is!

Best wishes from sleepless George

15. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

It is very beautiful Arkless. Played it the other day.
    Uncle Monty

16. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Music is full of recipes - the sonata form first movement, the rondo finale, the 4-minute single... it all depends how they are done.

VW 5 I certainly appreciate - I think I'll play it after this morning's bike ride in the Shropshire countryside :)

17. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Lockdown could be a one-off opportunity to popularise Wagner operas? Or not.

Mendelssohn's Italian symphony is cheerful. For serious consolation, Mahler's Ressurection.

18. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

This lightened to mood for me today.... a string orchestra arrangement of the Goldbergs. highly recommended
    [​IMG]

lordsummit likes this.
  19. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Or Tristan and Isolde.

20. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I think its a time for Brahms Hungarian Dances or Dvoraks's Slavonic Dances. Something bracing and life affirming is the way forward or is you want to, wallow in self pity with any number of things including Sibelius 7 or Mahler 10(most Mahler really!) Whatever floats the boat.