1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music for current times

Discussion in 'classical' started by marshanp, Mar 19, 2020.

1. herb

herb music live

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

John.P likes this.
  3. Dancer_not

Dancer_not Member

Thank you OP Marshanp for the Giya Kancheli reference - I found this 2nd hand on Amazon - wonderful dynamic music - so now ordered other Symphonies, too.
    We visited Georgia last May - when might such journeys be possible again?

My music for this times - one would be Symphonies and String Quartets by Rued Langgard - available in great recordings from Denmark.

4. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Glad to have introduced you to some fine music, Dancer_not :)

My favourite of all the works by Kancheli that I have heard is still the oddly titled "…à la Duduki", the piece which introduced his music to me. It appears on a very fine ECM recording by the Vienna RSO under Dennis Russell Davies - with a wonderful monochrome photograph on the booklet as a bonus.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7963167--kancheli-a-la-duduki-trauerfarbenes-land

Langgaard is certainly another interesting composer, whose music I need to explore further... the recent VPO/Oramo (of all people!) recording was an ear-opener.

5. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Thanks for that Alan, I’m listening to Elliot Gardner’s Matthew Passion, and was wondering what should come next, that looks a great choice.

6. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Disappointingly, further exploration does not make me keener on Langgaard - rather the opposite. Musicweb recommends starting with his 11th Symphony. It's terrible... he is a lousy orchestrator, addicted to overuse of the timpani (and I speak as a one-time amateur timpanist) and all too dependent on endless repetition of sequences at progressing pitches with precious little other differentiation. Other symphonies (10, 12) and Music of the Spheres have been sampled and found equally wanting. The second movement of the 14th, which appears on the recent VPO/Oramo disc, turns out to be its only good bit... and is lovely... but outnumbered by 6 other movements which are decidedly uninspired.

Langgaard was unendingly, tediously bitter about the admiration accorded to Carl Nielsen. Nielsen was admired because he was a great composer. Langgaard, it seems, was largely ignored simply because he was not a very good composer!

If anybody reading this wants to try a fine symphony by a little known Danish contemporary of Nielsen, I suggest the Fifth of Louis Glass, preferably in the Todorov performance, which makes the most of the beautiful slow movement:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7967874--louis-glass-symphonies-1-5

Raiskin on CPO has a better orchestra and recording, but takes the slow movement rather too quickly for my liking.

7. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Funnily enough I listened to that Oramo recording of Langgaard 6th with the VPO just the other day.... Frankly surprised he was able to persuade them to perform it!

And also funnily enough, I thought the best bits were when it sounded most like Nielsen!

8. cupples

cupples pfm Member

I enoyed Sir Roger Norrington conducting Beethoven 6 after listening to an interview with him on Radio 3 the other night - I'd never really paid attention to his interpretations - minimal vibrato, tempi as per the manuscript. Really fresh and uplifting. Impressed. Just what was needed after coming back from the local COVID centre...

9. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

I rate Norrington highly, and enjoyed that programme on R3 - he is an entertainingly direct interviewee!

If you like Bruckner, his recordings of symphonies 3 and 6 almost make you re-conceive those works... I really like them.

10. cupples

cupples pfm Member

That's a great tip, I'm going to look those out, thanks!