1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS/SWAP] My - "Van den Hul "The Grail" phono stage for your top class preamp

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Rosewind, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

I received a s/h Van den Hul "The Grail" on Monday, and later today I will receive another phono stage from a swap. But I have no preamp. There's the rub. One of the two will have to go.

So ... which preamp can you offer me in exchange for this fine phono stage: Van den Hul "The Grail" - the standard psu version?

A straight sale is also on for 2500£.

A new, spiced up version with wooden sides and on/off button on the front can be had for 5,800£. Internally it's the same as the one I have, and mine still looks like a new unit. It comes with 12 months' warranty. I will help you if you have a problem within the next 12 months. Photos will be posted later.

The Van den Hul "The Grail" comes with the black hard case, user manual in three languages, and the (battered) outer cardboard box. What's more: it sounds fabulous. In fact, it has restored my faith in the Thorens TD 147 Jubillee/Benz Micro Gullwing SLR combo as it seems to auto-load the Benz Micro Gullwing perfectly.

If you know nothing about what it is capable of, look here: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Grail.htm

I am looking for a very good preamp. No more, no less.
    If it has an onboard phono stage, it must have an MC input and be something special, too.

A Paradise phono stage + a preamp will be considered if offered together.

If anyone is interested in a straight sale, they can have it for 2500£.

This is what I paid for it. On top of this comes the shipping cost from Denmark to the UK. It is much more cost effective for you to arrrange courier pick-up from my work than for me to arrange it from here. It is a matter of small country/big country.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. Rosewind

Now for sale or swap.

3. Rosewind

Nudge
    Tom Evans the Vibe
    Audiopax Model 5

4. Rosewind

2500£ and we can go Dutch on the shipping.
    or ... I am still in the market for a linestage that won't let my Quad ESL 57s and EAR 516 down.
    or ... a more than decent turntable with a good arm - I have a very good cart already - also a possibility if it can be shipped safely to Denmark.

5. Rosewind

Nudge nudge.

Trade will be factored in:
    A musical tt with a more than decent arm - Kuzma Stabi S(D), Tom Fletcher, Rega P8/P10, ...
    Active or passive preamp (line stage): EAR 868L, Pass B4 buffer, Pass XP ..., Wavac ATT-S, a built Stereo LDR Coffee (the most recent board only, please), The Horn Shoppe "The Truth", NAT Plasma, or ...

If your preamp has a phono stage, I won't mind. Please bear in mind that I live in Denmark, so you must be prepared to ship your kit here.

Hit me.

6. Rosewind

Here's a photo of the back (photo supplied by the dealer that sold this unit to me):
    [​IMG]

I you read Troels Gravesen's "review" of it, you will notice that the layout is a bit different from his and is prepared for a battery psu unit.

Trade that we could factor in:
    - a very good line stage (passive or active)
    - a very good turntable with a special arm - a Garrard 401 or 301, or a more recent turntable. I will be able to supply a shipping box for your precious Garrard 301 / 401 so it can be shipped to me in Denmark.
    Alternatively I have a Trilogy 907 phono stage that could be yours in a trade.

Don't be shy.

7. Rosewind

Nudge. 2500£ ... or .... something from the below list...or something else that is worthwhile ...
    (1) Tom Evans "The Vibe", (stable) Audiopax Model 5, Hovland HP, Herron VTSP3, Yammamoto CA-04, Verdier Control B, EAR 868L, "PFM" B4 buffer (I would need to have a listen to hear if it is as good as a Pass B1 :)), BPBP (unless it only runs "balanced"), ARC Ref 3, Wavac ATT-S, Stereo LDR Coffee (the most recent board only, please), The Horn Shoppe "The Truth", NAT Plasma, Luxman AT3000 ... or ...
    (B) Garrard 301/401 (recently serviced, shipping box can be ordered), Kuzma S(D), Technics SP10 (serviced), Technics 1200G, EMT 938 (recently serviced), Fletcher tt, Thorens TD 124, Rega P8/P10 ...

If it suits you better in a trade scenario, I have a Trilogy 907 that could go to a new home.

8. Rosewind

Turntable with arm
    Preamp
    2500£ (a new unit with wooden sides costs 5800£).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  9. Rosewind

Better photos of the immaculate Van den Hul The Grail + PSU

Front 1
    [​IMG]

Front 2

[​IMG]

Inside the Grail

[​IMG]

Top plate insolation

[​IMG]

PSU

[​IMG]

Backsides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

User Manual

[​IMG]

10. Rosewind

Either of the three below:
    • Turntable with arm
    • Preamp
    • 2500£ (a new unit with wooden sides costs 5800£).

11. Rosewind

Yup ... up.
    Nice turntable with arm or ...
    Great passive/active pre or ...
    2500£ + half the shipping cost from Denmark to the UK

12. Rosewind

Further up.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  13. Rosewind

A nice arm (SME, TRI-Planar, MORCH, Funk FX-R, Terminator ... unipivot ... or similar) will also be considered as trade in.

Preamp - passive or not
    Turntable (with / without an arm)

14. Rosewind

A well-sorted DIY preamp is also on as part px.

15. Rosewind

DIY = part px. Please.

16. Rosewind

Still available.
    My other phono stage is poised to go on Friday 18 unless I off-load this one.
    *Cash
    *Preamp: Trilogy 903, NAT, KR Audio, EAR 868L, ATC SCA2, Tom Evans "the Vibe", Pass DCB1, Wavac, or (see above) ...
    *Shippable Turntable: Thorens TD124 / Garrard 301 (shipping box will be bought) / Garrard 401(shipping box will be bought) / Fletcher / Rega P8 or P10 /
    *Tonearm: Tri-Planar arm / Schroeder / Morch DP-8 / SME / Terminator ... or other very high quality arm...

17. Rosewind

Up and up and up

18. Rosewind

Straight sale.
    Fine preamp with cracking MC phono stage / preamp + money my way.
    MC Phono stage (I don't mind owning another Trilogy 907, Paradise or ...) + money my way.

Will be withdrawn the second Brexit in one form or another happens. Unless I am assured that it is business as usual with shipping and customs.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019 at 5:21 PM
  19. Rosewind

For sale at 2250£ shipped to a place near you until Nov. 1.

20. Rosewind

I have begun talking to dealers in Denmark about trading this in. I won't make a definitive move until after Nov. 1.