1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nad M22 V2 on the way...

Discussion in 'audio' started by KWB1, Jan 13, 2018.

1. KWB1

KWB1 pfm Member

2. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

Holy moly,,

KWB1 likes this.
  3. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

700 W into 4 ohms isn't enough?

KWB1 likes this.
  4. KWB1

KWB1 pfm Member

You would of thought so for most people - no such thing of having too much headroom though :D

Im really liking the Nad Masters kit - great on the eye with excellent features and sound

5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Who’d ever have thought we could get this kind of wallop from a board the size of a fag packet? That bridged performance is terrifying- you could turn your tweeters into car cigarette lighters. The Master stuff is really fine quality.

KWB1 likes this.
  6. Julf

You should see my main amps - 4 nc400 modules per channel (but power limited to 1200 W by power supplies, two smps600's shared by the 4 amps per channel) - and it all fits in the speaker stand :). Properly done class D is a real game changer.

7. dtd

dtd pfm Member

A few interesting things with the v2; adjustable input gain (finally!!!), Makes a good difference at normal listening levels, especially if digital volume control.

They appear to have better current capabilities that other ncore modules to date. The question is how clean do they remain at 2 ohm's? Admittedly not that often seen in normal speaker loads.

Hopefully they've cleaned up the thd performance on their input buffer, on paper at least the v1 wasnt the cleanest of all ncore amps. Depends how important thd+n is to you mind.

KWB1 likes this.
  8. Julf

What makes you say that? I didn't see any max current specs, but 1000 W into 2 ohms is 22 A. The current limit of the nc400 is 26 A.

9. dtd

dtd pfm Member

Well, they are reporting far higher 2 ohm capabilities than I've seen for nc500s. I actually have a pair of nc500 and nc1200s, with speakers that do drop closer to 2 ohms the bass response is clearly better on the nc1200. Which took me by surprise as you'd think the nc500 would handle it just fine. Guess it depends on speaker loads.

10. dtd

dtd pfm Member

By better I mean far more refined, less flabby, controlled etc.

11. Julf

The difference is probably the power supply.

12. dtd

dtd pfm Member

Same identical smps1200 unit to each amp module. Speakers do have 4x 9inch bass drivers each, so probably crueller load than usual.

13. dtd

dtd pfm Member

Oh sorry yes could be better PSU in m22 v2 yes.

14. Joe Hart

Joe Hart pfm Member

How do you calculate this? what is the formula?

15. Julf

I = sqrt(P/Z) ( so current is the square root of (power divided by impedance) )

So in this case sqrt(1000/2) is 22.36

naimplayer likes this.
  16. KWB1

KWB1 pfm Member

ouch.. too technical for me!

17. naimplayer

naimplayer Aspiring to be a halfwit.

Very impressive. Regrettably this is incomprehensible to me but I do admire the ability to quote such information at the drop of a hat.

18. Julf

I have to admit I had to reconstruct the formula from Ohm's law and the definition of power on the back of a scrap note. :)

It is actually basic high school physics (or was, back in the day when I did high school). Nothing like the calculus, matrix operations or complex number stuff we got thrown into in freshman electrical engineering... :)

19. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

'tis only Ohms law and Power = Volts x Amps. Nothing more needed

Crossed posting!

Julf likes this.