1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim CD 3.5 repairs

Discussion in 'audio' started by Martyn Miles, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

My CD 3.5 has finally stopped reading discs, so it would appear to require a new laser assembly fitted.
    Fortunately I purchased a spare some years ago. Where is the best place to get it fitted ? Naim Audio themselves, or does a Forum Member know of an alternative.
    Many thanks.

2. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

Try Witch Hat Audio. They do a great job with Naim amps and far cheaper - hopefully, they will repair the CD players.

3. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Many thanks.
    I have contacted them. I bought the complete VAM 1205 transport assembly, so it should be a relatively simple replacement job.

4. IGH

IGH New Member

Hello, I am a newbie. I have a CD3.5 which has the ERR display when attempting to play a track. I have removed the lid and removed the disc drive from the player and removed the disc drive pcb and plugged the drive back into the motherboard and pressed play. The laser shows its red light and tries to focus but no disc is present. I have a new puck but all the disc manages to do is rotate about 130 degrees then stops and shows the ERR display. With the laser light present, I am temped to think it is OK, but is it? I would appreciate some recommendations as to its fault origins. Also, am I missing something like perhaps a micro switch being open because I have removed the disc drive housing from the player?

5. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Possibly - there's a magnet in the player base that closes a reed switch in the swing-out tray when you close it, to initialise the CD read process. :)

IGH likes this.
  6. IGH

IGH New Member

thank you for your response. I will investigate further on Friday.

7. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Well, welcome to pfm!

If you like tinkering then the DIY room is the place for questions: you'll find a very wide range of experience and interests from many supportive members there.

8. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

@IGH This usually works as it sounds like a non Red Book thickness CD, put a cross of sticky tape across the centre and cut it around the hole. The tape provides enough grip to avoid the slipping troubles..

Also you can rotate the rubber feet in the puck if they have compressed a bit.

Good luck with the fix...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  9. suzywong

suzywong Shifting 0s & 1s since 1968

Naim still have mechanisms for the 3.5. See the DIY thread