1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim Olive Hicap hum..

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by takemine1, Jun 18, 2019.

1. takemine1

takemine1 pfm Member

Having dusted my Olive Hicap which I haven't used for some time, I find its developed a hum.
    Its noticeable and is not connected to the volume control.
    That is it doesn't vary to the volume control..
    Tried moving it away from the power amp. No change..
    I reconnected a CB power supply and thats ok..
    Any thoughts..

2. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

Hum from speakers? Or more of a buzz? Do you get music?
    I suspect a tantalum cap has popped or gone leaky, pulling one of the rails down, said rail being relied on to un-mute the relay in the pre-amp thus leaving the power amp open circuit and hummy. That's the most common thing that happens to these.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

Thought I’d had the same until I played with the intermittent connection on my cable

4. takemine1

takemine1 pfm Member

Hi. Noise is from the Hicap not through speaker.
    Tried disconnecting all leads then turned on Hicap.
    No noise.
    Connected signal lead..No noise..
    Connected live lead to Pre and no noise..
    Hmmmm..
    Will leave it on and monitor..

5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

No doubt a noisy transformer then. It may vary with DC on mains or mains waveform quality when lots of TV sets are on etc. Harmless but won't fix itself...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  6. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

This can sometimes be cured by loosening or tightening the securing bolts slightly and/or replacing the rubber pad the traffo sits on. It doesn't exactly cure the problem but it can be made a lot less noticeable sometimes.

Failing that not all traffos suffer to the same extent so a last resort solution is to sell your HC and buy a different one.

7. takemine1

takemine1 pfm Member

Thanks for the advice.
    Will check secure bolts.
    Noticed some times the noise from the Hicap .. some times loud and some times not so loud..

8. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

It's down to mains quality which varies over time and with what you and your neighbours have powered up.

9. andrewsutton

andrewsutton pfm Member

Hi, consider a DC blocker. Google Rod Elliott ESP.
    There is an article and simple circuit there.
    Cheers Andy.

10. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

As others have said, assuming it is mains quality variations leading to DC on the large toroidal transformer causing it to hum you might consider this DC blocker group buy too https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/dc-blocker-gb-closing-soon.216403/page-3

Obviously you could swap for a different PSU too that does not have such a large toroidal transformer, I assume Teddy Pardo PSUs don't do this. Might also be worth talking to Kit Ryan as I think RSL do a PSU based on a much less over engineered transformer so much less likely to hum.

11. Arkless Electronics

Small ones can hum just the same...

12. takemine1

takemine1 pfm Member

Thanks for the above.
    Thinking of renewing the capacitors..
    Any thoughts..

13. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Sure but less and less likely no?

14. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Not sure it will help the hum at all

15. Arkless Electronics

Maybe... Can't say I've given it much thought but certainly I've known both big and small ones buzz.

16. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

Certainly won't cure the mechanical hum from the traffo but might make it sound better in other regards.

If the CB one is fine then maybe get an older olive one with an H&F traffo and service that up or even swap the traffo's over.

17. takemine1

takemine1 pfm Member

Ok. Opened the hi cap and found the strapping that hold the big caps in place was a little loose..
    Tightened this up and up to now its been quiet.
    Coincidence..