1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim SBL project

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by tiggers, Feb 8, 2019.

1. garyi

garyi leave blank

Perhaps I was unlucky. When one of my tweeters back in the day I tried to remove the other without damage to sell it but simply could not get them out. In the end I had to drive a screw into the tweeter surround to get a purchase.

2. Kraus

Kraus Member

As they are in Fordingbridge they might well have belonged to Doug Graham, although other Naim employees do tend to live around Salisbury.

3. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

^ I'd have no qualms about buying anything local to Salisbury, it will almost certainly be ex-employee or friend of one.

divedeepdog likes this.
  4. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

The trouble is they don't stack up with what the seller is saying. I have been in touch and he said they were built in 86/87 so they can't have the later cabinets. He thinks the mid/bass drivers may have been upgraded at some point, but earlier on here divedeepdog pointed out they look like the later cabs so what gives. I'm not criticising the seller btw as I'd have no more of a clue, but I just don't know what they are or what their history is. Tempted to take a punt on them one minute, but... then the next I'm not .... I have a rule when buying cars ... if anything at all makes me feel wary I walk away and it's served me well over the years.

5. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

In 1987 the only standard options you got on finish would have been black ash and walnut, and they look like neither of those. Perhaps they were a bespoke finish back then specifically for a director, and made in a non standard veneer and to a slightly better spec of finish.

Pity the seller's photography isn't a bit better!

6. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I’ve had another look, I wouldn’t bet against them being Walnut and the poor photograph/flash has highlighted the box edges, however, they’re the best I’ve seen for sale for a while.