1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim SC or teddy SC

Discussion in 'audio' started by Hound, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Hound

Hound pfm Member

I will as thinking about getting one for now to use on the snaxo and if/ when I get my 82 supper link mod done use it on that as I will also then have my dual TC plus spare

2. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

My experience with a SNAXO 2-4 is that it's actually quite insensitive to the PS relative to the pre amps.

I went from HC to Kendeil HC (minor upgrade) to Kendeil SC (really marginal gain) and also tried the TSC and TPR4 HC and APX2 along the way.

You really don't get much "bang for your buck" with any of it.

The SNAXO 3-6 is a rather different beast and really needs the SC to sing. I've tried mine with a TSC and went back to the standard aim one (the TSC now runs my 82).

What I found is that the TSC on the Snaxo 3-6 somehow destroyed the music. It possibly revealed marginally more detail though not a lot and not obvious at first listen but at the expense of timing. I just couldn't enjoy listening to anything with it for long.

3. Hound

Hound pfm Member

Interesting and as I run a 2/4 Olive but wired so it can run like the new snaxo or the old, it looks like I might as well keep my HC on it.
    But also interested in your 82 running SC and how you find it, I am looking at getting the supper link done and then run a SC on it

4. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

I find the TSC very satisfactory indeed just used in basic 4 rail mode, though I'm planning to try the 8/10 rail option along the lines of the super link mod when I have a bit of spare time.

The story of my 82 is a bit unique. It is a late production 2001 model and replaced an identical looking 1993 one but was a significant upgrade sonically even in unmodified form.

It also saw off an early 52/PS very comfortably indeed. I strongly suspect later 52's sound a lot better but I've never thought I had to buy one when I've heard them, though never done a direct a/b with my 82.

Since then it's been serviced with new pots, new tants and some Elna Silmic II's and Rifa MMK's for feedback, all to some benefit.

My Snaxos also have the Silmics - which were a noticeable upgrade over the original SLCE gold bipolars.

I bought the SC for the 82 expecting an upgrade over my two Kendeiled HC's but actually it was a downgrade even after I Kendeiled and serviced it.

A very Kind fisherman threw me an old xps burndy which I could modify to power the Snaxo so I hooked it up to the Snaxo instead (2/4 at the time).

That was a minor upgrade so I kept it on, but it wasn't in any sense good VFM.

I then upgraded my two HC's to an Avondale APX4 which was a very good upgrade.

Then some active NBL's with Snaxo 3-6 fell into my hands so another pair if 135's was sourced, serviced and set up as was the Snaxo.

I then got the opportunity to try a DTC and a TPR4 HC at the same time so a ps bake off ensued to see which was best on the 82.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-82-power-supply-bake-off.176198/

The APX4 stayed but it was very very close between that and the DTC with the TPR4 HC running my phono boards.

There is no APX12 to run a Snaxo so when a TSC came up I grabbed it, hoping (fully expecting actually) it would better the Naim HC on the Snaxo and
    release some cash.

I was wrong about that unfortunately but I thought I'd just try the TSC out on the 82 before moving it on, fully expecting it to perform identically to the DTC and leave the APX4 in place.

Actually the TSC just slightly edged the APX4 but by a tiny margin, but given it is smaller, neater and has the option of the superlink mod it has stayed in place. It's slightly later production than the DTC I had so the current DTC may sound identical on the 82. The differences between DTC, APX4 and TSC in any case are all very marginal indeed so if you had one there would be very little point in changing to one of the others. The DTC though is clearly the best option in terms of VFM.

In terms of bang for buck with your present system, I think if you were to go for a TSC it would only possibly make any sense if you applied it to the 82 and also had the superlink mod done. Other than that you're pretty much maxed out already unless you want to spend really big.

I think the proposed £2.7K on two TSC's and the superlink mod would probably lead to disappointment rather than satisfaction.

Can't comment on the full TP system option since I've never heard one.

5. Hound

Hound pfm Member

Colasblue thanks for that, I have sort off made my mind up i think on that I will get my 82 modded to run the extra rails and then run it on a TSC so it matched my other power supplies, keep my snaxo as it is on the THC and my NDS on it's TXPS.
    That will leave me with a dual THC plus that I ran on my 82 spare. But the other main upgrade I am getting sorted is my 250's. One is quite old but I has been serviced, the other is newer and has the NCC 200 boards from Avondale. But decided to get them both the same and go for the new quodos boards and power boards in both. Also a new transform for one off them as it hums bad, so looking forward to that

But these power supplies are mind blowing, in that many options and price that can have you going round and round and with the naim gear, very expensive.
    Been told I should be running the 555PS on my NDS rather than the teddy XPS, but until I can have both and do a back to back test on them, spending £6k or more on a 555 sounds like a bad move to me, but then what do I know other than it would have to be a big upgrade to be worth it.
    But for now I am spending my spare time ripping Cds to my Melco N100

Cheers all

6. Paul Burke

Paul Burke Member

Do you mean Hdx or Nds?

7. Hound

Hound pfm Member

Sorry I have a NDS, my predictive text changes it to his all the time for some reason

8. Paul Burke

Paul Burke Member

Good, used a hdx for a while, my system improved massively when I got rid of it, was my first naim source and didn’t realise how poor it was, even with an ndac and 555 attached!

Surprised you don’t just add a good dac if you’ve a Melco already, they’re very good streamers

9. Hound

Hound pfm Member

I like my nds, it sounds great, looks nice and is easy to use with the naim app, plus the price has fallen on these now and by the time you sell it and get a dac I don't think there would be much in it ?
    Only got the melco to rip and store my cds on really as it sounded great running through the nds
    Plus I have the option of 2 systems with this and my 250's as I have spare speakers ect
    But know what you are saying

10. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

Ah yes well if your 250's are not well matched (and it sounds like actually they aren't) then that would be the first place to spend any money.

A lot of people will tell you Naim active systems work well with any old cobbled together set of amps. The truth is that you never get the full magic unless your power amps are very closely matched, down to same board layouts, transformers components and service history. If you get that sorted you may well not be looking quite so hard at front end improvements I suspect.

I'll admit to being slightly surprised you find any improvement at all over either one of your power amps running the SBLs on its own.

11. Hound

Hound pfm Member

Wasn't bad but will 100% be better soon, plus I had my snaxo wired so that one amp did both bass the other both treble so that helped