1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim superline Professionals:what about capacity plugs?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Werner Mayrhuber, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Hi everybody, due to my experience as a superline beginner I want to ask how to find the optimum in capacity load:
    Is it just as small as possible to avoid broadcast interferences („radio moscow“) or should it create a special taste in sound?
    In present I use 220pF which is enough to keep the sound clean, also tried 470pF with very little difference, both in combination with R500 and a Benz Micro Glider SL.
    Next step for me is the use of Z Foil resistors (allready on the way from US)-lets see what happens.
    Loopings forward hearing from the experienced guys,
    Greetings from Austria
    Werner

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Moving coils aren't really affected by capacitance; only resistance. I found, with my Superline, that the smallest cap. plug (5.? pF?) did the trick of lowering RFI but not degrading s.q. My friend, who still has his Superline, uses no capacitance at all; maybe he's lucky with RFI). Generally, the higher the cap., the more flattening of the sound. My Benz (Ebony LP) much preferred the 220 R plug, and I sometimes forgot to change it when I swapped from my Koetsu (100 ohmsR) and it did sound quite off.

3. yeti42

yeti42 pfm Member

Trial and error by listening to its effect on music, starting from a minimum value after optimising the R plug. The resolution you’re using is finer than I ever tried, 470pF being my smallest value plug.

4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Capacitance has no real effect with MC carts sound quality wise. If having major problems with RF breakthrough then a pair of ferrite toroids can be obtained and a few turns of the ends of the phono cable should be wound on to each toroid. An input cap of say 1nF will help as well.

5. Thanks for replies, anyway as I thought-keeping capacity at a minimum is best-so thatś what I soldered a 220pF plug. In my listening system enough for avoiding Spam noise. Anybody with experience in Zfoil resistors? I am very looking forward trying them....Reading in pinkfishmedia about R536 with Benz glider I will start with this, report follows! Stay health in this days!

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Obviously mot the standard plugs supplied by Naim then, as that must be the highest figure.

1 nF, if I recall, was the lowest cap. plug in the standard Superline armoury (of 3 cap. plugs ?) In the early days on Naim boards and later Prefix, I had bad RFI, and tried ferrite rings round the phono lead and in various other configurations, all to no avail. Oddly, sometimes when RFI was bad, s.q. was fantastic ! Counter intuitive, but this phenomenon happened a number of times.

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Ferrite toroids are the most effective cure for RFI and work almost every time. They have to be used correctly and be the right material. In this case the two coax sections would have to be pulled further apart and the phono plugs temporarily removed so that separate toroids can be fitted to the left and right channels outputs just before the phono plugs. 2-3 turns around the toroids should suffice.

I've no idea what cap plugs are supplied with this phono stage but 1nF should be enough. use more if it helps.

8. jimbot2.0

jimbot2.0 pfm Member

great phono stage but easy to drive yourself mad trying different combinations!

As others have indicated, i settled on using the lowest capacitance you can get away with whilst minimising RFI.

I found increasing capacitance load progressively removed life and dynamics on a modded denon 103 and DVXX-1 and DVXX-2

9. yeti42

yeti42 pfm Member

When I bought my superline I had my system of a Target style steel and MDF rack I’d bought off ebay. I was using a 17D2 in an RB300 on a mk2 Townshend Rock. I got radio stations breaking through but only loud enough to hear when no music was playing. The RB300 was replaced by an Aro so I now had a separate earth wire for the arm. I fully expected this to cure the radio breakthrough but it made no difference. I moved the system to the opposite wall hoping it would help but no such luck. I’d tried earthing the rack metalwork but it made minimal difference. A 1nF cap helped quite a bit, a 10nF cap wasn’t much improvement on that. An email exchange with Naim resulted in a 470pF cap which was nearly as good as the 1nF one and the music was livelier, in fact in combination with a 470Ω plug it was livelier than no cap plug. Meanwhile, I’d been replacing Rega with Naim in my system and had got to 282/hicap/250/CDX2, pretty much where I’d been aiming to get to. My next thought was to replace the rack candidates were isoblue, Fraim Lite and full fat Fraim. I could just about fund full Fraim but couldn’t bring myself to spend that much on shelving so it was a toss up between isoblue and Lite, Lite won. I was very surprised when it cured the radio breakthrough on the superline.

My preferred loadings on the superline are
    Dynavector 17D2 and 17D3 in an Aro, 470Ω + 470pF
    Transfiguration Proteus in an Aro, 100Ω + no cap plug
    Proteus in a Schroeder Reference with Cardas cable, 100Ω + 470pF
    And that is my cartridge history for the last 12 years.