1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

naim vs sonneteer

Discussion in 'audio' started by wpm, Mar 2, 2016.

1. wpm

wpm pfm Member

hi

first post.... but not exactly a newbie.. ;)

Presently i run a Naim CD5XS into Naim Nait 5i-2 into Naim naca 5 into Merlin TSM MMM and i quite enjoy the sound.

would the Naim XS2 be a good option for me to consider ?

some of my friends here in India tell me about the Sonneteer Alabaster amplifier.

Basically i thought i could do with some more headroom while retaining the PRAT and musicality that Naim is known for.

I am getting a pre-owned Naim Flatcap XS power supply for about USD 650 here.. as well..

appreciate your thoughts..especially from previous Naim / Sonneteer Alabaster owners

regards

2. wpm

wpm pfm Member

OK here goes..

with Naim CD5XS as a source and the below options.. what would be worth considering

Naim XS2 ( 70 W )
    Naim XS ( 60 W )
    NAC 152XS + NAP 155 XS

NAC 202 + NAP 200 - out of range but in range for pre loved
    SN2 - out of range but can wait and accumulate funds for this if i want to sit tight with this amp for the next 10 years :))

Else..

Sonneteer Alabaster - but herein again - i would not want to get drawin into interconnects and speaker cables questions..

A big advantage with Naim is the mental PoM ( Peace of Mind ;) ) with naim DIN interconnects and nac A5

My CDP and speakers ( merlin TSM ) cannot change for the next few years.

Before Bobby ( www.merlinmusic.com ) left the 3rd rock from the Sun - he recommended trying a Rega Elicit R or Exposure 3010 but rather preferred the naim nait 5i-2 currently which i have.

But i guess i am looking for the proverbial - more :D

regards