1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Name Dropping.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by George J, Jul 4, 2019.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I've met Herbie Flowers several times. He played bass on Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" , one of the most famous bass lines in rock history.

Big Tabs, Weekender and eternumviti like this.
  2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

You have to eat White Castle sliders once - just so you know what they are like. I did. Once.

As described to me they are the US equivalent of a Doner Kebab - ie best considered when well oiled and starving at the end of an evening. The speed of the drive-thru service I was taken to was impressive.

3. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

What is a slider ?

4. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

A mini hamburger.

5. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

No, attracts even more data protection!

6. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

White Castle sliders are cooked unlike anything else. They are small (sliders!) burgers that are cooked on top of a huge bed of chopped onions - so they kind of steam in onion vapour rather than fry in oil. You get a bag full of them - they are really quite little - no business of putting them in a bun.

7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

[​IMG]

8. Yank

And Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into The Fire"

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

And bass player to Sky, and a pretty good jazz man.

10. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

He also worked with David Bowie, but it was through jazz I got to know him. He lives just up the road and does jazz gigs locally with his mate - cue another name drop - Mike Hatchard.

11. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

Not to mention this classic

Weekender likes this.
  12. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I saw and heard Herbie Flowers backing Sam Brown on bass when she was having hits with songs such as 'Stop'.

13. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

mull.

are you sure you're not a tory?

14. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Absolutely, but I'm not sure about Sam Brown.

15. CHE

CHE pfm Member

I also now remember 'an appearance' of a young Anthea Turner at a party in Stoke on Trent in the late '70s. I was warned by a former school mate beforehand and so her pure vacuousness didn't come as a surprise. Bruno, for it was he, arrived as her date (or was it the other way around) and was a good lad, happy to talk about prog bands (including Camel) he liked at the time.

CHE

16. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

I seem to recall that it was Sharon Osborne's father who stitched Steve Marriott in a deal with some American mobsters.

Mullardman and eternumviti like this.
  17. Yank

Yeah, Don Arden was a see you next tuesday for sure.

eternumviti likes this.
  18. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes pfm Member

Sorry, only just seen. Uncle. Got hard labour. Mysteriously got out early and set up own off licence in Cheltenham. Soon turned into wine bottling, labelling and export. Who knows where the money came from but we’ve no family connection to Cheltenham and that move just happened to take place the year GCHQ was set up. Family always thought he was a bit of a Walter Mitty character but it turned out to all be true. He’s been written off as Wales great traitor but clearly became a British double agent. Buried with full RAF honours. Not many who broadcast with Haw Haw can say that.

Lots more if anyone is interested but that’s the gist.

Weekender and eternumviti like this.
  19. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

It is a great bass line to play, a fav in my band

20. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

The wife had her bottom pinched by Sean Connery.

Weekender likes this.